[DON'T BOTHER] LMDE boot hangs on external USB drive

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ddmetzger

[DON'T BOTHER] LMDE boot hangs on external USB drive

Post by ddmetzger »

I am trying to install MINT LMDE-64 on an external USB drive attached to my Dell Optiplex 740 computer;

AMD 64 X2 processor. 2 gig RAM. 150 Gig internal HD, 500 Gig external USB HD. nVidia graphics chipset.

I run Window$ Vista and Grub on the internal HD and several Linux OSs on the external drive (Mint 9-32, MINT 10-64, Ubuntu 10.10-64, OpenSuse 11.3-64.

I am trying to get MINT LMDE-64 running on my computer with the notion of switching over to a rolling distro with Mint functionality and user interface.

I have solved two problems so far;
1. Added [mem=1982M] to Grub command line fixed hang at "ready _". LMDE DVD live disk now boots and functions OK.
2. Installed LMDE without Grub install because Installer would hang at Grub Install.

I refreshed Grub from another distro on the same HD to try to boot LMDE. (Grub installed on internal hda) Now the boot process hangs at the very beginning of the boot process displaying the following screen:

*************************************************************************************************
Loading, please wait.....

[ 8.033705] sd 4:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 8.035673] sd 4:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 8.185702] sd 4:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:

-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
-Check root delay=(did the system wait long enough?)
-Check root=(did the system wait for the right device?)

-Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/1f084bbd-a556-4e8b-9ab4-c9049cfda7e3 does not exist.

Dropping to shell!

BusyBox v 1.17.1 (Debian 1:17.1-8) built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

(initramfs)

*********************************************************************************************

The other Linux distributions installed on sdb (USB external drive) boot and operate with no problems.

I infer from the error messages above that there may be some latency with sdb which is not equal to or less than the delays built into the MINT boot script. I am not a Linux expert and I have no idea how to locate and modify the proper files to extend the boot drive wait time (assuming that is the problem).

Any help or insight into how to get MINT LMDE-64 to boot from the external USB hard drive would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ddmetzger

Re: [DON'T BOTHER] LMDE boot hangs on external USB drive

Post by ddmetzger »

I am ready to wait until the next release of MINT Debian. This one is just like an onion. When you peel off one problem layer there is another waiting just under the surface.

1. Hang on live CD boot - solved by adding "mem=1982M" to grub command line.

2. Install program hangs at "Grub Install" - omitted grub and ran grub-install from another distro.

3. Version installed on HD won't boot - finally discovered that some combination of MINT Debian and Grub had reversed the floppy and HD device codes in Grub boot line. Copied correct dev ID into boot line and it booted (this was the original subject of this thread).

4. After finally getting HD install running, discovered that MINT Debian has no provision for updating the video driver for my nVidia chipset (the way other MINT distros do). The whole active raster was displaced about 1/2 inch to the right, obliterating the "OFF" button on several programs. Monitor re-synch had no effect.

5. Tried to use update manager to update applications and files in hopes that some of the above problems had been solved. NO SUCH LUCK - got an error message telling me I couldn't update until I fixed broken packages. Clicked on "Fix Broken Packages" in Package Manager and nothing happened.

At this point I am forced to conclude that this distro is NOT ready for prime time. Good try -- maybe next time!
wayne128

Re: [DON'T BOTHER] LMDE boot hangs on external USB drive

Post by wayne128 »

ddmetzger wrote:I am ready to wait until the next release of MINT Debian. This one is just like an onion. When you peel off one problem layer there is another waiting just under the surface.
4. After finally getting HD install running, discovered that MINT Debian has no provision for updating the video driver for my nVidia chipset (the way other MINT distros do). The whole active raster was displaced about 1/2 inch to the right, obliterating the "OFF" button on several programs. Monitor re-synch had no effect.
I think Debian based has two issues you need to know
a. it uses only with free-stuff only
although it uses free-stuff only, there is a non-free stuff available, such as non-free firmware.
b. need somewhat more learning on update and upgrade on rolling release

nVidia belongs to non-free stuff. So you experience that problem.
In my experienced because of that, I learn how to install non-free stuff using script freely available, such as smxi/sgfxi for nVidia driver.
2. Install program hangs at "Grub Install" - omitted grub and ran grub-install from another distro.

3. Version installed on HD won't boot - finally discovered that some combination of MINT Debian and Grub had reversed the floppy and HD device codes in Grub boot line. Copied correct dev ID into boot line and it booted (this was the original subject of this thread).
For me, I stayed with Grub legacy , old, stable, no more changing and very reliable for my multi boot. Immune to changes of Grub2 for many new releases.

5. Tried to use update manager to update applications and files in hopes that some of the above problems had been solved. NO SUCH LUCK - got an error message telling me I couldn't update until I fixed broken packages. Clicked on "Fix Broken Packages" in Package Manager and nothing happened.
When you are using rolling release model, the updating can break things if done in certain way.
There are many threads on this and is good to know how others have experienced and usually they will eventually learned the 'appropriate way' to update
At this point I am forced to conclude that this distro is NOT ready for prime time. Good try -- maybe next time!
I rather think the initial 'warning' hold true. Expect rough edges.

After some time, people who stay with Debian based would learn these tricks.
The benefits are there.. yet lots of learning curves..

Return to “LMDE Archive”