LMDE installer silently removes Julia's user directories

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LMDE installer silently removes Julia's user directories

Postby oysterboy on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 pm

In April, I posted about a possible bug in LMDE's installer :

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70367

Just for the record, I reproduced the bug a few days ago, when trying for a second time to install LMDE. My /home partition has different directories, one for each distro (e.g. /home/opensuse, /home/fedora, etc...). My Mint 10 users are in /home/mint/julia/. When I install LMDE, and choose to reuse this /home partition, the LMDE user is created in /home, and /home/mint is removed by the installer :shock: . Other sub-directories of /home are not affected.
oysterboy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE installer silently removes Julia's user directories

Postby dawgdoc on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:41 pm

This must be an inconsistent bug. Earlier this month I installed LM9 and LMDE 201101 32 bit on a desktop computer and had no problems.

i first installed LM9 32 bit. I created a /boot partition and / for LM9 as primary partitions, then in an extended partition I created a logical /home to use as a shared partition for both editions. When I installed LMDE I used the manual partition option (I think that was available). LMDE has its own / partition as a logical partition. It shares the /home with LM9, I made sure I did not select the format option for this partition. At install I created a slightly different username than I did for LM9; dr4dpet-lm9 vs dr4pdet-lmd. Also during the install of LMDE I set the bootloader to go in its / partition rather than the MBR. With LM9 I had already set Grub to boot from the MBR and wanted to keep it this way.

I hope some of this sheds light on the issue.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 13 Gnome x32 PAE, LMDE
READING: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Installation & Boot