LMDE latest respin: to install on Dell Vostro 3700

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
smiley_lauf

LMDE latest respin: to install on Dell Vostro 3700

Post by smiley_lauf »

Hi there, I have been using Mint 11 x64 for a while now; but would now like to give LMDE x64 a try on this hard ware (nvidia and broadcom); I see the last download version is from Dec 2010/Jan 2011. Is there a more recent respin of LMDe, with the most recent updates and bug fixes (if any).
Please also advise me if installing on this hard ware will pose any show stopping problems/issues.

Many thanks
SL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: LMDE latest respin: to install on Dell Vostro 3700

Post by dawgdoc »

Latest 64 bit respin with the Gnome desktop is the 201012 download. If you want to use the Xfce desktop, there is a respin from April available.

In all probability there will be another respin of the Gnome desktop within the next month, that is just a guess. It might even be of both desktops. You can check this page http://community.linuxmint.com/iso for status updates on work of some of the releases.
smiley_lauf

Post by smiley_lauf »

I eventually downloaded the LMDE x64 (full 900MB+); and installed it. Installation went without a glitch. Now the MintUpdate wants to update 864MB+ of data--this like almost the size of the full DVD. I was afraid of this, hence I asked if there was a latest respin to avoid downloading the whole distro all over agai. I have a slow internet and I pay by megabyte.

Anyway, I will give this update a whirl and see how it goes. For starters, the fast and snappy feel is already a winner.
2 questions:
(1) I see broadcom STA common in repo's--should i install this for my broadcom 43xx driver? Or is there a better way to do this?
(2) How about nvidia drivers? I see by default LMDe runs nouveou drivers, so little 3D acceleration for graphics intensive apps. Any suggestions?

I know there are posts on this forum to this effect, I have tried them, but I am not succeeding. I am looking for a simpler solution.
Thanks again,
smiley_lauf

Post by smiley_lauf »

okay, after downloading and installing the updates--LMDe loads to the GDM screen and hangs--nothings works, mouse if frozen, and keyboard is disabled. Only hard boot gets me out of the screen. So I guess, my machine is not ready for LMDE yet.

I am going back to LM 11 x64 (posting from it now).

Thanks
SL
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Sorry not to get back to you in time. For me the nouveau drivers are not smooth with my laptop so I always install the proprietary drivers. My laptop has a nvidia Geforce 6150 Go chipset.

Re: the broadcom-sta drivers and a 43xx device. I have a broadcom 4311 wirless chip and the driver, 5.60.48,36, which came with the earlier LMDE spins and the 2.6.32 kernel worked well for me. When I added the newer kernel, 2.6.38, and added the broadcom-sta driver to it, the newer broadcom driver, 5.100..82.38, was built into the new kernel and does not work for me.
Elmacus

Post by Elmacus »

I have succesfully used LMDE 64 with NVIDIA propitary drivers on GTX 260. It was easy with instructions, don't remember link now, but can give later.

Sent from Android using tapatalk.

Return to “LMDE Archive”