New releases

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Important information

New releases

Postby inp3dance on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 am

Hi,

I'm planning to reformat and repartition my hard drive and I'd like to put Mint on it, a clean install, right now it is a mess with multiple distributions, multiple home folders, etc. I'd like to use LMDE because of systemd, and because of the less bloated and faster Debian base. I use KDE and XFCE desktops, maybe Gnome2. Sometimes I have all three installed, and when I get bored with one, I switch. But this was a bit offtopic.
My question is, when will new releases of LMDE will be available? I know I can install the old ones and update, but last time I did, the Xfce 4.6 -> 4.8 transition messed up my menus and some other stuff too. I think I even wrote about that in this forum. So I really don't see a reason to install Xfce 4.6, Xorg 1.9 and make a major version change, it is simpler, cleaner, and, from my experience - not only from LMDE - even safer to install the right, updated packages.
So, if it will be soon a new LMDE release, be it Gnome or Xfce in a time period of about 2 weeks, I will wait for it, otherwise I think I will try netinstall Debian testing and add the Mint repos.
Can somebody update me with infos? Thank you!

Oh, another offtopic: what about Mint KDE ( the one based on Kubuntu )? When it will be released? I'm considering that too, I don't know how responsible and fast is a Kubuntu KDE. I can use an RC release too, I'm not a new linux user, I can handle some breaks.

Thank you again!
inp3dance
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New releases

Postby amina on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:03 am

Hi,

As Clem wrote in the June stats,

"All the new features and improvements released in Linux Mint 11 were made available to LMDE. Firefox 5 was also released for LMDE and Thunderbird 5 will follow. We’re currently working on a new update mechanism and a fork of mintupdate dedicated to Debian. A new 100Gbps server was recently acquired to host what will become the new LMDE repositories. Improvements are also planned on the installer and the ISOs will get a respin in July."

Regarding the new update system please see his post in the breakages post:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502&start=720#p443737
where

clem wrote:In terms of ETA, it's hard to say, it could be a week or two.

In the meantime, I would recommend to be conservative on the updates you take, especially with Gnome 3 around the corner.
amina
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot