grub brakes after every upgrade

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

grub brakes after every upgrade

Postby santiagorf on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:23 am

Hi all,
I've installed LMDE 32 bits two days ago and, since then, I have lost my grub twice giving the following error when I boot:
Code: Select all
grub_divmod64_full

It seems that this error occurs every time I run:
sudo apt-get update  && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Does anyone how to avoid this error?
If any relevant info is needed, please let me know. My knowledge of grub/boot is null; thus, I have no idea what info might be relevant.

Thanks!!
santiagorf

If someone has the same problem, the grub can be easily recovered from here:
http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/201 ... tu-cd.html
Last edited by santiagorf on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
santiagorf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: grub brakes after every upgrade

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 am

Hi, is the full error you are getting "symbol not found: grub_divmod64_full"? And do you perhaps dual-boot with Windows?

Depending on that, the http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1735231 thread has some possible solutions. There it is suggested a software update for grub-pc package might not have installed correctly, and the solution would be to purge it and reinstall it. The HOWTO for that is at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

This would work 1-on-1 if you used the Ubuntu based version of Linux Mint. So take care to with doing this on LMDE.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby santiagorf on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks Vincent for the HOWTO. I think it helped (I'll wait a few days to see if still works before I change subject to solved) .
I'll try to explain as faithful as possible what I did.
I followed the HOWTO up to step 2 (where I had to run 'apt-get update'). After the update it said something like the grub update wasn't complete and that I needed to run
sudo dpkg --configure -a

After I run the command, a screen splashed asking me to choose where to install grub.
I choose both '/dev/sda' and '/dev/sda1' as I wasn't sure (and /dev/sda2 is the swap).

I remember that in the my first update I saw the same screen and that I chose one directory for the grub (and I think it was /dev/sda1). It might be possible that I have chosen the wrong one and that in every update was installing grub in that location?

santiagorf
pd:
I have installed only LMDE in my computer. The the complete error message I was getting when rebooting after update:
symbol not found: grub_divmod64_full
Entering rescue mode
grub rescue>

My partition is

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048   310532095   155265024   83  Linux
/dev/sda2       310532096   312580095     1024000   82  Linux swap / Solaris
santiagorf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby titohal on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:58 am

I experienced the same problem too. My grub had the same problem 3 times after 3 different upgrades. I thought it would be fixed with the new LMDE update manager, but I had to reinstall grub from a live CD just this morning. The process is quite simple but it's annoying to do it every 2 months...

I checked my update history and the 3 crashes had something in common: kernel related updates (linux-headers, linux-image...). I don't know wheter it's related or not but perhaps some of you know about it. I'd thank you any information you can give me.

Btw, I'm using the 64 bit version. I don't know whether it's the same in 32 bit version.
titohal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mike.balut on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:27 am

this keeps happening to me, too...actually just today again. The fix is easy. I am on 64 buit too....

I just wonder, my setup is on /dev/sdb3 that's causing the problem? I just don't know how to fix it.
mike.balut
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mads on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:40 am

I always choose /dev/sda (and not /dev/sda1 2 3 etc) or /dev/sdb (and not /dev/sdb1 2 3 etc). I am running two systems.
Dual-boot LMDE (32-bit) and WinXP, triple-boot LMDE (64-bit), Vista and Win7. I've never had issues with Grub, so I'm sure
it must be related to where you choose to install grub.
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot