LMDE boots only until Login after desinstalling Evolution

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LMDE boots only until Login after desinstalling Evolution

Postby Cbiz on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:08 am

Hi, i'll try to translate my topic posted in the spanish forum
Month a go i installed LMDE 386, then moved to 686 and then Kernel 3.0.2
All works fine. I installed Evolution with de Exchange module (and others), but i can't make it work with an Exchange Server 2003 (i now, it doesn't work, but i tried).
After desinstalling all the Evolution stuff, booting run only until Login, when i hit Enter after the password, the boot stops there.
With Ctrl+Alt+Del, the System Monitor opens (RAM in use is only 60MB), with PTscreen i get the printscreen dialog window.
I try to boot with 386 and Kernel 2.6 in all the 6 options, all the same.
LMDE works fine all this time until this instance; but i won't reinstall and upgrade all again.
If somebody can help, thanks.
I read in spanish, english and german perfect.

Amigos,
instalé LMDE 386, lo pasé a 686 y luego al Kernel 3.0.2. Había instalado el Evolution con el módulo Exchange, que nunca pude hacer funcionar con el Exchange Server 2007. Des-instalé todo lo relacionado con Evolution, siempre con el Software Manager.
Cuando reinició, levanta hasta el login, apenas ingreso el PW y enter, queda allí sin seguir cargando. Con el Ctrl+Alt+Supr abro el System Monitor, con PTscreen abro la ventana de impresión de pantalla, pero nada más.
La memoria en uso apenas llega a 60MB.
Probé iniciar en las 6 variantes de LMDE que me quedaron en GRUB luego de upgradear, todas mueren apenas me logueo.
No quisiera reinstalar, todo.
Hay alguna opción?
Desde ya, muchas gracias
Cordiales saludos
Carlos
Lenovo G530
Cbiz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE boots only until Login after desinstalling Evolutio

Postby tdockery97 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:13 am

Evolution has a tendency to integrate with Gnome very tightly. Removing it may have taken a critical bit of Gnome with it. If you can boot up in recovery mode to the text login with command prompt, then you might try the startx command. If that doesn't work, and you still have internet, try reinstalling evolution and see if it fixes the graphical login problem (sudo apt-get install evolution).

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Re: LMDE boots only until Login after desinstalling Evolutio

Postby Cbiz on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks tdockery97! The "sudo apt-get install Evolution" works, but I can't get Internet even wired to download Evolution. How can i configure the wired network? My router is with DHCP configured. With startx i get black screen. Thanks in advance.
Cbiz
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot