Black Screen from liveCD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fisher

Black Screen from liveCD

Post by fisher »

Hello,

First post here because mainly I'm pretty resourceful about things, but I'm encountering a problem regarding Linux Mint Debian edition for me. I've been using Linux Mint 10 for over a year now and everything works great in it, but I'd like to get the Debian version because it is rolling release. Anyhow, I pop the live DVDs (201109) in and try to boot and all I get are black screens. I've tried everything. 64-bit and 32-bit. Gnome and XFCE. All md5 sums match. Disks were verified. Tried editing boot parameters (replace quiet and spash with noquiet, nosplash, nomodeset) and I still get the same problem. It just goes black screen and the CD spins and stops. Basically this is what I'm running: Gateway NV782U laptop, with an Intel GMA 4500 MHD integrated graphics card. This is the first time a Linux OS has failed to detect hardware on my system (and I've tried quite a few like Ubuntu, used Opensuse for over a year on this laptop prior to Mint, Archbang was tested (I'll probably dual-boot that with LMDE if I can get LMDE installed)). There's obviously something wrong with the drivers here.

Such a shame too because I've installed LMDE in a virtual machine and it works flawlessly. Looks like a fine distro. Is there a workaround for this or is this a known bug? And if not known, anyway I can submit this to the developers so they're aware of it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Black Screen from liveCD

Post by xenopeek »

You may instead try selecting to boot compatibility mode (second entry in the menu), and perhaps press Tab to edit boot parameters and before the final -- (double dash) add: i915.modeset=0 acpi=off
fisher

Re: Black Screen from liveCD

Post by fisher »

xenopeek wrote:You may instead try selecting to boot compatibility mode (second entry in the menu), and perhaps press Tab to edit boot parameters and before the final -- (double dash) add: i915.modeset=0 acpi=off
That did change things a bit, but it still doesn't load (I decided to make a bootable USB). Instead of a black screen, I get the verbose loading mode which hangs and kills the boot process. Just sits there and every 3 minutes or so shoots out a long list of commands. Needless to say, I'm lost as to what is causing it. Weirdest thing because Archbang loads fine on this machine from bootable USB. Maybe I'll try installing Debian itself and getting the Mint packages to create my own "LMDE."

Edit: found out this problem I've having is effecting a lot of other people because there's a problem with how the kernal is loading drivers and Xorg for Intel GMA graphics (even more problems for my model, 4500 specifically). So now I have LMDE up and running (used Vincent's suggestion and just added i915.modeset=0 to boot option) but now I have another issue. My graphics card doesn't seem to be loading right because I'm running at 1024 x 768 resolution whereas my monitor can handle 1600 x 900. There has to be some way to tweak Xorg to run Intel by default, but I'm kind of stuck.

Return to “LMDE Archive”