LMDE 12 install help in Virtual Box please {SOLVED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sweetwater

LMDE 12 install help in Virtual Box please {SOLVED}

Post by sweetwater »

I just built a new 64 bit box {Biostar TA75M~AMD A8-a850~8GB Mushkin Radioactive 1333/1600/1866mhz [memory works at all speeds without any voltage tweeking]~Mushkin Volta 500 PSU~LG DVD/CD RRW~Seagate Barracuda 1TB}.
I have been using Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit [for some reason I had to use alternate CD to get it installed but it works and faster than an AMD Barton with 1 GB PC3200.] but wanting to try LMDE 12 32 bit in Virtual Box and maybe switch to it as 64 bit which runs all the virtual installations.
I consider myself a Newbie because of memory problems [been struggling to learn and keep up with Linux for years]. My attempt to get LMDE 32 bit on in Virtual Box stopped when I was confronted with a message saying something like Root had not been set up and that I needed to do that before proceeding. I have dementia and find it impossible to figure out how to solve issues like this. Seems like I have only one brain cell left and it's hard for me to hold onto multiple information pieces/sources and use them at the appropriate or same time. This also pretty much makes using command line a no go also unless it is copy and paste..... Not knowing what lies in store further though the install but I think learning what to do for designating root partition would get me closer to finding out what comes next. This is probably simple to the rest of y'all!
Well I came back continuing the search and found this but have not yet read or absorbed it or tried it [http://www.fsdaily.com/Beginner/Manual_ ... ated_links]
Anyway I'm still open for input but I thought it might be nice for others to know what I've found...
I came back again for an edit and My working Ubuntu partitioning looks like this:
/dev/sda1 - ext4 - 923.91GiB
/dev/sda2 - Extended - 7.60Gib
/dev/sda5 - Swap - 7.60GiB
unallocated - - 2,48 MiB

The LMDE partition table at time of install when I let it set the table looks like this during the partitioning screen of installation:
/dev/sda1 - Swap - 564
/dev/sda2 - ext4 - 7625 7395 free
unallocated - - 3
Reason tells me that /dev/sda2 LMDE needs to either be split and / identified or maybe
/dev/sda2 just needs to be identified as / mount point. Sheesh I'm lost!!!
Back again! I impatiently couldn't wait for a reply so I just selected /dev/sda2 and told it to mount there without creating any new partitions. LMDE seemed to install and I'm in the middle of my first update. Not sure if this compromised root or if everything is workable. ehhhh it a virtual machine ... how much damage could it do?
Well other damage done other than running as root.... I'm still open for a tutorial on what to do to to make it right. I'm uncertain of what and how to do it still...
However thanx if you can help!!!%SW:))
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LMDE 12 install help in Virtual Box please

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from the main forum
sweetwater

Re: LMDE 12 install help in Virtual Box please

Post by sweetwater »

Wherez duh solved bittton?
Oscar799
Level 20