/boot partition: What is it good for?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

/boot partition: What is it good for?

Postby lokshan on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:30 am

I've been happy with LMDE on my old test computer (no Gnome shell!), and am thinking of installing it on my work computer. Currently my work computer is a WIndow 7 dual-booting with Mint LXDE. Since the LMDE installer currently requires manual partitioning without any direction, a noob like me is in danger of messing up something important. So here is my question:

While distro hopping I've installed many distros, and I always use the 4-partition scheme that some web sites suggest: /boot (50MB), / (root), /home, and swap.
When things go wrong, it often goes wrong with the /boot partition. In mild cases, on startup the Grub splash screen displays more operating systems than are currently installed. Sometimes the entire OS gets installed into what I thought was the /boot partition. Or other booting problems.

When I don't manually create a /boot partition, though, things seem to go better. I have the impression that somewhere on the hard disk is a "master boot record" that doesn't show up as a partition on Gparted, but does the same job as a separate /boot partition. And I get the feeling that if I don't manually create a /boot partition, the MBR will still handle the dual boot while creating fewer problems.
I think my impressions must be wrong, though, because I've heard that you should avoid doing things that mess with the MBR.
So where have I gone wrong? And is there some trick to setting up the /boot partition to avoid problems?

This must be a stupid question, but I'd be very grateful for any advice.
lokshan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: /boot partition: What is it good for?

Postby Oscar799 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:44 am

Moved here by moderator
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Kimiko_0 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 am

We've discussed this before, here. HTH
Kimiko_0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lokshan on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:29 am

That's what I was looking for, and much more besides. Many thanks!
たいへん勉強になりました。
lokshan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot