Problem resizing btrfs file system

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Problem resizing btrfs file system

Postby andy_0 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi,

I just run into a problem while resizing a btrfs file system. On an HDD I got two partitions. The first is ~1700GB btrfs partition, the second a 100GB NTFS. I need more space for NTFS so I ran "btrfs filesystem resize -100g /mnt" (https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/articles/ ... _8bd8.html). It did work, the partition now is 100GB smaller, but only for Nautilus and the System Monitor. GParted still detects the full 1700GB of partition size. GParted also notes, that it is not capable of resizing btrfs partitions. On Wikipedia it is stated btrfs resizing is working. I am using GParted 0.8.1 while the newest is 0.12.x.

Do you think this is an version issue of GParted? Do you have any experience in resizing a btrfs partition and have any ideas? If it is related to GParted, which version do I need to get it running and how do I get this version installed on my PC?
andy_0
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem resizing btrfs file system

Postby renkinjutsu on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi. I think I see the problem here.
Just as the partition doesn't have to be the same size as the harddrive, the btrfs volume doesn't have to be the same size as the partition it's in. In other words, you shrank the btrfs volume while leaving the actual partition the same size.

That means you still need to resize the partition
renkinjutsu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem resizing btrfs file system

Postby andy_0 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi,

yes you are right. Today I bootet the newest GParted Linux and was able to resize the partition. The problem seems to be an outdated GParted version in LMDE.
andy_0
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot