GregE

Re: /home - how can I recreate?...

Post by GregE »

To de-activate autologin, open (as root) /etc/lxdm/default.conf and edit
autologin=username

to

#autologin=user-name.

Reboot.
Last edited by GregE on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
GregE

Post by GregE »

And, if you want to switch to LightDM for log in run ...

sudo apt-get install lightdm

And as part of the install it will ask you which DM you want to make the default so you can then select LightDM and then when you reboot it will be the new Log in and you can select Xfce and off you go.

cheers
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

GregE wrote:To de-activate autologin, open (as root) /etc/lxdm/default.conf and edit
autologin=username

to

#autologin=user-name.

Reboot.
Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately my personal "gremlin" is still very active. I logged in as root by typing sudo -s and when prompted entered my password but when I tried to open /etc/lxdm/default.conf I got the error message

Code: Select all

bash: /etc/lxdm/default.conf: Permission denied 

So I thought I would be "sneaky" and booted the computer with a LiveCD. Opened /etc as root and then went to lxdm.conf only to get an error message that the file was corrupt and it would be moved to the Trash bin. I said O.K. but could not find it!

Nothing lost, I was prepared to re-install Mint 12 LXDE, which I did. This time I did NOT choose auto login.

Did a sudo apt-get install xfce4 and all went well.

Rebooted and got the login in screen and, in the bottom left corner got two icons. One of which had three options - Default, xfce Session, Mint LXDE; and the other Language (the default of which was Chinese? I chose English (New Zealand). I chose xfce Session.Then logged in and entered my Password. Hit enter and was returned to the Login window again. Chose Mint LXDE and the same thing happened. Chose default and the computer continued and booted successfully. This happened on every occasion I tried.

I am at a loss :(
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

GregE wrote:And, if you want to switch to LightDM for log in run ...

sudo apt-get install lightdm

And as part of the install it will ask you which DM you want to make the default so you can then select LightDM and then when you reboot it will be the new Log in and you can select Xfce and off you go.

cheers
I read this after I had responded to your previous post. It seemed the ideal solution. So, I did as you suggested (sudo apt-get install lightdm) and everything appeared to go well.

When I send this reply, I'll reboot and see what happens.

Watch this space :)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Those pesky "gremlins" are still active :lol:

Did a reboot and everything went haywire. Didn't even boot and the initial message on screen

Code: Select all

Starting bluetooth
Pulse audio configured for per user session
saned disabled: edit /etc/default/.saned 
appeared on the screen and kept flashing. After 20 minutes with nothing else happening, I did a complete shutdown; waited for several minutes and switched on the computer with the same unsatisfactory result.

So, what had I done since installing Mint12 LXDE?

(1) Installed xfce4
(2) Installed level 1 & 2 updates
(3) Installed LightDM

In no instance did I get an error message, so I have no idea what is going wrong :?

My computer is being upgraded on Wednesday and I've decided to leave things alone until it is returned to me. Then I'll investigate further. All I know at present, is that I am not a fan of LXDE :x Although, to be completely hones: I do like the responsiveness.
tenfoot
GregE

Post by GregE »

Hi Tenfoot,

It is not impossible all your issues are hardware related. A dodgy ram chip or marginal system chip could easily be the source of your problems. I guess you will know when you get your machine back.

:)

Return to “LMDE Archive”