Problem installing LMDE derivative

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problem installing LMDE derivative

Postby swiftlinuxcreator on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am

I'm the founder and lead developer of a Linux distro called Swift Linux. While Swift Linux has been based on antiX Linux in the past, I'm in the process of basing it on LMDE. (It will use IceWM and ROX pinboard as a replacement for GNOME.)

The installation process fails now, but that wasn't the case a few weeks ago. To troubleshoot the problem, I booted up the Swift Linux ISO in VirtualBox and added print messages in the installation script around the part of the process that triggers the error.

When it reaches the stage of adding a new user, I get the error message:
(gksudo:2942): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str != NULL' failed

The useradd command triggers this error is:
self.do_run_in_chroot("useradd -s %s -c \'%s\' -G sudo -m %s" % ("/bin/bash", setup.real_name, setup.username))

I have confirmed that the error occurs in this line, as the /target/home directory has no user directory in it. Also, I know that the previous step (removal of the installer and other parts of the live environment) have been completed, as their respective directories are not present in the /target directory.

The complete installer.py script I'm using is at https://github.com/swiftlinux/installer ... staller.py .

My questions:
1. What does this GLib-CRITICAL error mean?
2. Under what circumstances would the useradd command trigger such an error?
3. Could the recent updates have anything to do with this new error? My Swift Linux development environment has a mix of older packages (the ones that came with last September's LMDE release that I don't remove) and newer packages (the ones that weren't included in the old LMDE release). Is my mysterious error the result of a conflict between old and new packages?
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem installing LMDE derivative

Postby swiftlinuxcreator on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:50 pm

I have resolved this issue by updating all of the live-installer package's dependencies. Apparently, a conflict between new packages and the old pre-installed ones led to this error. (A Google search of this error message pointed to this as a possible culprit.) I've implemented the necessary changes at https://github.com/swiftlinux/installer ... er/main.py .
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot