How to set 'unsafe-storage' with Mate? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneC

How to set 'unsafe-storage' with Mate? [SOLVED]

Post by GeneC »

I can't figure out how to set 'unsafe storage' (to not have to enter password so often) in my new Mate partition?
In the past I could easily set it with 'Seahorse', but can't do it in MATE.
No passwords even show up there.

Does Mate have a different system?
Trying to generate NEW password does nothing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to set 'unsafe-storage' with Mate?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator. Reason: LMDE.
äxl

Post by äxl »

GeneC wrote:I can't figure out how to set 'unsafe storage' (to not have to enter password so often) in my new Mate partition?
Aren't you asked for password and can decide if to save and for how long like with su-to-root -X -c /usr/sbin/synaptic?
Sorry, I have no experience with PGP.
Last edited by äxl on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Axl

No, that's not it. In the past I could use this =

Enter my 'old password'. Leave the 'new' password blank.. Then I was warned I was using 'unsafe storage'. I accept that, and no longer repeatedly asked for password, once logged in.
It works in Gnome, and XFCE, but not in Mate.
Will keep trying to find a fix. :wink:
äxl

Post by äxl »

GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks for that.
I was not aware of that issue. I just loaded MATE yesterday and I am pretty unfamiliar with it.
Surprised that they noticed that issue three months ago, and not fixed yet. :roll: :lol:
I will try the fixes.
äxl

Post by äxl »

And I get two Create New ... windows directly over another (testing 3.2.2-1).
Seems to work. Well, I wouldn't know how to use a Secure Shell Key but it offers me a to enter an address.
But everything is put into My Personal Keys not Passwords. Don't know how to create one there.
Successfully created a PGP Key. But does it always take so long generating with no CPU or I/O load?
But I get that "Error communicating with gnome-keyring-daemon" when trying to create Stored Password or Password Keyring.
With gnome-keyring=3.2.2-2 and mate-keyring=1.2.1-2+wheezy from the mate-desktop.org repository.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

well, I fixed the problem to my satisfaction.
My aim was simply to be able to use 'unsafe storage' in MATE. I am aware not every wants to (or even recommends :lol: ) using it, but I have since I started using LMDE with zero problems.

The fix was quite simple.
1. Un-install 'mate-keyring'
2. Un-tick the 4 MATE related keyring apps from 'Startup apps' (Keep the 4 duplicate GNOME keyring apps selected).

Seahorse now looks like it should

instead of

And 'unsafe storage' is back working. I dont have to enter my password 645+ :roll: times a session. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”