[solved] Changing color for Cinnamon and icon themes?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

[solved] Changing color for Cinnamon and icon themes?

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I use LMDE64 with mostly Cinnamon. I like the green color. I see it everywhere all the time:
- Using gtk3 theme Mint-X, my nautilus folders are ... green, the side panel has some green icons too.
- Using Minty Cinnamon theme, the background of all selected items is ... green even in Firefox submenus

This is nice, but, sometimes, on cloudless nights, I look at the sky and think that it would be nice to be able to change easily the color : to swap green for red, one day, and use another color the day after. The ideal would be to have a kind of rainbow script that would allow me to change colors easily.

In the meantime, does somebody knows of some commands that would allow me to do this? I dare not on my own tweak the css.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Changing color for Cinnamon and icon themes?

Post by roger64 »

Well, I am more than halfway to it. :D

1. Change the icon theme. I picked up at Gnome look Faenza which you can install (and uninstall) with a script.

2. I used the colourful -and green- Minty theme as a base. I opened its css file and changed the rgb part of its two main green rgba colors to get a matching color for menus and panel buttons.

I do not know yet how to change color for Firefox selected sub-items. Still looking for it.
bimsebasse

Re: Changing color for Cinnamon and gtk3 themes?

Post by bimsebasse »

As I've already told you somewhere else there is no easy way of doing this, no terminal command, no script, it involves editing theme files for your Cinnamon theme and your gtk theme, and it's not a simple procedure to change all the colour highlights though seek'n'replace can get you some of the way.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

How sorry. Did not receive any direct info from you.

I agree with your above comment. This is not easy to script. However, I think it is easy enough to tweak Minty theme. I only concentrated on searching and replacing these two rgb values (I left the alpha one untouched for the moment as I had only a rgb color-picker).

If you happen to know how to change the color of Firefox selected sub-items (still have green on them), I'll gladly take it.

A rainbow script

Minty is already the most popular Cinnamon theme. It's very nicely built with a very good care for details. The only thing, it's limited to green color. I know a plain regex is enough to make a color change. Built around a control panel, it could give the user a choice of some colors, and of course a blank one where the user would add its own RGB values. My knowledge is too limited to do it myself but I think, sooner or later we'll get it on Cinnamon.
Last edited by roger64 on Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Rainbow colorization script.

I did not know when I wrote the previous post that the solution already existed, though at an experimental - but working - level.
The AwOken theme (a family of three themes) allows the user to create itw own RGB colour icon theme. Furthermore, the Minty colour theme can easily be adapted to your own.

Let's have fun!

Screen shot about Menus and Places applet (colorized)
Image Image

This time, for me, it's solved !!!

Return to “LMDE Archive”