Flashplayer error with Opera browser [solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Flashplayer error with Opera browser [solved]

Post by zoli62 »

On Linux Mint LMDE system using 11.64 Opera browser i have installed the latest Adobe Flash Player. Interestingly, on Adobe's test page an earlier version will be displayed. Had met someone with this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Flashplayer error with Opera browser

Post by karlchen »

Hello, zoli62.
On Linux Mint LMDE system using 11.64 Opera browser i have installed the latest Adobe Flash Player.
This sentence raises 2 questions immediately:
  1. Which version of the Flash plugin have you installed? I.e. what is the exact version number?
  2. How did you install? Did you use the official Debian repositories or did you download a .tgz file from the Adobe webpage and install this manually?
Interestingly, on Adobe's test page an earlier version will be displayed.
  1. Which version of the Flash plugin does the Adobe test page detect on your machine?
  2. Which version of the Flash plugin should be present according to the Adobe test page?
On my Linux systems the relevant version details are these, no matter whether Firefox 12.0 is used or Opera 11.64:
  • Installed Flash plugin version is 11.2.202.235
  • Adobe webpage displays that 11.2.202.236 were available for Linux
All current Flash plugins on my Linux systems have been updated using the official Ubuntu or Linux Mint repositories. This suggests that v11.2.202.236 has not made it to the official repositories, yet.

Trying to update my Windows systems to v11.3.300.255 which according to the Adobe webpage is the current Flash plugin version available for Windows did not install v11.3.300.255, but re-installed v11.2.202.235.
This might suggest that the Adobe webpage is ahead of the download servers perhaps?

Anyway, whatever it is, Opera 11.64 is not the culprit.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

karlchen wrote:Hello, zoli62.
On Linux Mint LMDE system using 11.64 Opera browser i have installed the latest Adobe Flash Player.
  1. Which version of the Flash plugin have you installed? I.e. what is the exact version number?
  2. How did you install? Did you use the official Debian repositories or did you download a .tgz file from the Adobe webpage and install this manually?
Interestingly, on Adobe's test page an earlier version will be displayed.
  1. Which version of the Flash plugin does the Adobe test page detect on your machine?
  2. Which version of the Flash plugin should be present according to the Adobe test page?
On my Linux systems the relevant version details are these, no matter whether Firefox 12.0 is used or Opera 11.64:
  • Installed Flash plugin version is 11.2.202.235
  • Adobe webpage displays that 11.2.202.236 were available for Linux
All current Flash plugins on my Linux systems have been updated using the official Ubuntu or Linux Mint repositories. This suggests that v11.2.202.236 has not made it to the official repositories, yet.

Trying to update my Windows systems to v11.3.300.255 which according to the Adobe webpage is the current Flash plugin version available for Windows did not install v11.3.300.255, but re-installed v11.2.202.235.
This might suggest that the Adobe webpage is ahead of the download servers perhaps?

Anyway, whatever it is, Opera 11.64 is not the culprit.

Kind regards,
Karl
Hello karlchen,

I have installed manually from tgz file the latest available linux version , i.e. 11.2.202.235. In Firefox and Google Chrome browser appears on the Adobe test page the correct flash plugin version, compared to the Opera browser. Current flash plugin did not update from official Debian repositories.

Best regards:
Zoli
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[moved here]
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Remove anything Flash related.

FlashPlayer - Debian Wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
Install flashplugin-nonfree

Code: Select all

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
to update it as root run:

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

craigevil wrote:Remove anything Flash related.

FlashPlayer - Debian Wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
Install flashplugin-nonfree

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
to update it as root run:

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
Thank you, I've have finded it, too. Otherwise, the problem was solved. The symbolic link pointed to the originally installed Mozilla Flash Player had to be removed, because at the same time there were two in the same directory. I still do not understand that the Flash plugin from the store why not refresh automatically.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Flashplayer error with Opera browser [solved]

Post by karlchen »

Hello, zoli62.

Though you marked your thread as [Solved], I would still be interested in the current version number which proved to be current. Is it still 11.2.202.235? - I am asking because I have got the vague feeling that the Adobe Flash webpage temporarily listed newer version numbers though those versions, 11.3.300.255 for Windows and 11.2.202.236 for Linux, have not been released, yet. At minimum, this seemed to be the case last night, i.e. May 15th, 2012. - Visiting the Adobe Flash webpage tonight, I only see v11.2.202.235 for all OSes, except Solaris where the version string reads v11.2.202.223. I guess this answers my question. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

From the Adobe page: You have version 11,2,202,235 installed
which is what is listed on the page.

The Debian package flashplugin-nonfree is a script that downloads and install Adobe Flash when you first install the package. It does not get upgraded when Adobe releases a new version , in order to upgrade to a newer version of Flash you need to run as root: update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

Personally I use the flashplayer-mozilla package from the deb-multimedia.org repo. It actually installs flash when it is installed and when the package is upgraded.

$ apt-cache policy flashplayer-mozilla
flashplayer-mozilla:
Installed: 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1
Candidate: 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1
Version table:
*** 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1 0
500 http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ sid/non-free i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Firefox about:plugins

Shockwave Flash

File: /usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

karlchen wrote:Hello, zoli62.

Though you marked your thread as [Solved], I would still be interested in the current version number which proved to be current. Is it still 11.2.202.235? - I am asking because I have got the vague feeling that the Adobe Flash webpage temporarily listed newer version numbers though those versions, 11.3.300.255 for Windows and 11.2.202.236 for Linux, have not been released, yet. At minimum, this seemed to be the case last night, i.e. May 15th, 2012. - Visiting the Adobe Flash webpage tonight, I only see v11.2.202.235 for all OSes, except Solaris where the version string reads v11.2.202.223. I guess this answers my question. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
Hello Karl,

I 've probed 11.2.202.235. I also wonder why there is a newer version on the Adobe's side than what is available.

Regards:
Zoli
Last edited by zoli62 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

craigevil wrote:From the Adobe page: You have version 11,2,202,235 installed
which is what is listed on the page.

The Debian package flashplugin-nonfree is a script that downloads and install Adobe Flash when you first install the package. It does not get upgraded when Adobe releases a new version , in order to upgrade to a newer version of Flash you need to run as root: update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

Personally I use the flashplayer-mozilla package from the deb-multimedia.org repo. It actually installs flash when it is installed and when the package is upgraded.

$ apt-cache policy flashplayer-mozilla
flashplayer-mozilla:
Installed: 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1
Candidate: 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1
Version table:
*** 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1 0
500 http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ sid/non-free i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Firefox about:plugins

Shockwave Flash

File: /usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
The deb-multimedia.org repo can be simultaneously used as with the official Mint storage?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

zoli62,
deb-multimedia (or debian-multimedia) is part of the standard lmde repos.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

zerozero wrote:zoli62,
deb-multimedia (or debian-multimedia) is part of the standard lmde repos.

As I know that since the introduction of the Upgrade Pack 3 the deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free repository was replaced by the deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

latest/multimedia is a snapshot of debian-multimedia to ensure compatibility within the system (as are all the other mirrored repos).
so unless i'm missing something in your question, you already have debian-multimedia (through latest/multimedia).
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

zerozero wrote:latest/multimedia is a snapshot of debian-multimedia to ensure compatibility within the system (as are all the other mirrored repos).
so unless i'm missing something in your question, you already have debian-multimedia (through latest/multimedia).

Well you know. So finally, how to I assure that from the repository is always should be automatically downloaded and installed the latest Flash Player plugin?

Return to “LMDE Archive”