Debian repositories falling behind with Linux kernels

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
craigevil

Re: Debian repositories falling behind with Linux kernels

Post by craigevil »

jjaythomas wrote:The optimus kernel says its also debian and ubuntu
But web site sounds like for Ubuntu!
Then agin sites like soptpedia are saying for most Linux distro :roll:

Maybe I'll try on my Swift/LMDE Frankenstein box (its already mangled and just a matter of time before kablewy! :twisted: .

Then maybe install Xubuntu and try also for the fun of it :roll:

J.Jay
A lot of idiots that build packages for Ubuntu assume they will work in Debian, since Ubuntu is supposedly based on Debian. What they do not seem to understand , is that Ubuntu changes the packages. Debian and Ubuntu are not compatible, sometimes packages will work others will completely trash a system.

And the majority of them do not test on anything other than whatever version of Ubuntu they are running.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I agree but.. (putting hand in fire :twisted: )

Installed the Optimus kernel anyways.
A Boot speed-up I was hoping for never materialized But the system seems(to me) to be alittle faster. Reading and writing to a network drive (HD attached to router) seems much faster. Other thing seem a wee bit faster.
and
my system hasn't gone kablewey yet :P Let know if does (and pretty sure it's the kernel fault (normally I blame the dog! :lol:

J.Jay
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I'm not noticing any problems with the Optimus kernel on LMDE tracking Unstable. That's not to say I intend to keep it, especially as it's not clear to me what practical advantages it has over a standard kernel (the same applies to the Liquorix kernel).

As regards compiling, I can only reiterate that not enough guidance is available about working with the config menu. For example, the guidance I have seen so far doesn't even explain how to make sure that the resulting .deb package has the right architecture for my system.

By the way, the 3.4 kernels I've tried (aptosid and siduction) use 25Mb more memory than the 3.2 / 3.3 kernels, on a freshly loaded desktop with no applications running except Conky. Of course that isn't a problem in itself, since memory usage is still fairly low, but it would be interesting to know the reason for it.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

craigevil wrote:Haven't checked but the 3.4 is probably in damentz's future repo

## Liquorix Kernel by damentz http://www.liquorix.net/ .
# Secure Apt: apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'
# Latest "stable" kernel
# deb http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid main
# RC/Beta kernels
# deb http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid main future
Kernel 3.4 is now in the Liquorix future repository.

Unlike the current Aptosid and Siduction 3.4 kernels, the Liquorix one uses roughly the same amount of memory as the 3.3 kernel on a freshly loaded desktop.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Kernel 3.4 is now in the Debian Experimental repository.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Just a word of caution, if you're going to install the Liquorix 3.4.0-1 version of the kernel and you're tracking Mint incoming or stable, you'll need to install gcc 4.7 and company from the Debian Sid repository in order to also install the headers for this kernel. The headers are needed to compile nvidia's driver and other blobs. I simply enabled the Debian Unstable repo, installed the needed packages, and then disabled it again and all is well.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Just noticed that Liquorix just released version 3.4.0-4 of its custom kernel which is back to requiring GCC 4.6 (the version in LMDE.) Installing the newer GCC and company from Sid is no longer required for those wishing to compile binary blobs against the new kernel headers. Since I already had gone to the trouble of updating my compilation tool chain, I went ahead and used GCC 4.7 to compile my nvidia driver against this latest kernel and though it gave a warning about the GCC version mismatch, everything seems to be functioning just fine.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Kernel~3.4-trunk-486 i686
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

A pattern seems to be emerging with the trunk kernels in the Experimental repository: a version of the latest kernel is added quite quickly, but then it doesn't get updated. This happened with the 3.3 kernel and now it looks like happening with 3.4. I guess it doesn't matter, as they seem to work perfectly well first time round.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

cmost wrote:As for configuring a new kernel, personally I never mess with the config file other than to specify my particular CPU family and type and to disable Xen. There's no need to go mucking it up if you don't know what you're doing. If you just want the latest kernel with your current configurations but optimized for your CPU then my guide is right for you.
What's the advantage of disabling Xen? Would this make it not possible to use Virtualbox or is Xen just something totally serparate? Thanks.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I disable Xen because I don't use it. Xen has nothing to do with VirtualBox. I'm using the latest VirtualBox without any issues. Good luck!
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Brian49 wrote:A pattern seems to be emerging with the trunk kernels in the Experimental repository: a version of the latest kernel is added quite quickly, but then it doesn't get updated. This happened with the 3.3 kernel and now it looks like happening with 3.4. I guess it doesn't matter, as they seem to work perfectly well first time round.
I spoke too soon - there has been a minor 3.4 update today.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

cmost wrote:I disable Xen because I don't use it. Xen has nothing to do with VirtualBox. I'm using the latest VirtualBox without any issues. Good luck!
Thanks. I noticed in your signature that you're using liquorix now, instead of compiling your own kernel. Why have you chosen that? I tried liquorix, but I get a couple funny errors with it.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

The short answer is that I'm lazy! I use Liquorix because it's an optimized kernel that just simply works! What errors are you receiving with it, I have to ask because I've never seen any errors. If you would like help compiling though, I'm more than happy to assist as I've been compiling my own kernels in Debian for years. :D
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

@cmost

I have my sources pointing to Debian wheezy and I already have gcc-4.7 installed. It's been in testing since last month. As for the 3.4 kernel, I pull mine from http://www.kernel.org and apply specific patches to the kernel and roll my own.

Return to “LMDE Archive”