HPLIP no device (network printer)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
defcon

HPLIP no device (network printer)

Post by defcon »

Hi folks,
few minutes ago i had a strange problem. I tried to setup my HP network printer (LAN), and i got the message that there is no device.
I thought ok.. maybe i should be in the groups sys and lpadmin, so i added myself with gpasswd, rebooted and try it again, fail!.
After a coffee break, i decided to change my network settings from DHCP to manual, and now my printer will be recognised and work!

Have somebody an explanation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera

Re: HPLIP no device (network printer)

Post by antikythera »

I had a similar issue with the printer not being available when the router was rebooted. What I found resolved it was to set the IP address of the printer manually via its own web interface so it never changes via DHCP each time the router is rebooted. That way computers can always find the printer where they are expecting it in all operating systems. The computers and notebooks can be left on DHCP as long as you are not sharing any resources from them. Otherwise they do need a fixed IP as well really.
defcon

Re: HPLIP no device (network printer)

Post by defcon »

Well, i tried to add the printer manually by adding IP and port in hp-setp, but it didn't work.

Return to “LMDE Archive”