Total Uptime

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
finjs

Total Uptime

Post by finjs »

Is there a utility in LMDE (a command?) that can display how long a computer's been on?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Total Worktime

Post by jjaythomas »

i believe in LMDE or LMDX (XFCE) or the 'Main editions you can get from...

'System profilier and benchmark (operating tab)
or
the command inxi in a terminal (also a CLI command for only uptime, can't remember thou)
plus usually a
panel plugin (their is for XFCE) or a 'conky" system bar/table. :wink:

J.Jay
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Simply open the terminal and type: top
It also shows the uptime.....
finjs

Post by finjs »

Thanks guys, you're great. But unless I missed something, it's not really what I want to know. I'd like to know the TOTAL worktime from the very FIRST time the machine has been turned on, let's say the TOTAL uptime. Not the current uptime that's the time since the last time the machine has been turned on. Whatever the OS the computer might have run in the past. I know the information is stored somewhere in any machine but can it be accessed?
finjs

Re: Total Uptime

Post by finjs »

Something like that. Though the total uptime shown there is the total uptime since the current OS started running. But it's better than nothing.
The following command may help, I think.

Code: Select all

last reboot shutdown
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

TOTAL worktime from the very FIRST time the machine has been turned on, let's say the TOTAL uptime. Not the current uptime that's the time since the last time the machine has been turned on.
If theirs a variable holding that it would be in the 'BIOS' (otherwise a HD change would clear it)! (CMOS maybe :?: )
The BIOS can't access from OS (but getting some info from BIOS is possible (probably varies by BIOS puter uses)

J.Jay :?:
finjs

Post by finjs »

You're right, JJay. I've googled on the topic a lot. The total time a machine has been on was supported by Apple computers in the nineties only. Today System 10 doesn't offer it any longer. As an ex-Apple developer, I remember pretty well seeing that piece of information in System 9. Obviously, at that time, no one could change OS...
Then I wrongly assumed the information was accessible on all computers but it's not. Not even in the BIOS. Yet I doubt computer manufacturers don't keep the time-on somewhere because it's a crucial piece of information with defective computers.
In fact, the only time-on users can get is the one since the last system install. What Everest provides on PC. The following thread may show how to calculate it in a Linux environment.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/49 ... 0&tstart=0

Return to “LMDE Archive”