messed up application menu in LXDE / changing default app

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

messed up application menu in LXDE / changing default app

Postby bennypr0fane on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello,
My primary concern here is setting the default application for handling .jar files to OpenJDK, but the problem I'm having with that *may* be related to the fact that my application menu is a mess.
Specifically, I installed LXDE and made it my default desktop. Everything's normal, except in the menu there's an entry called "Other", and it's about 3 screens tall and contains about 130 applications, including ALL the GUI ones that are already in the other sub-menus, plus many command line apps.

This hasn't been a big issue, since I've still been able to find what I'm looking for.
However, when I tried to open a .jar file, it was linked to Eclipse (Java IDE) as the default application. I want to change that to OpenJDK, but it's nowhere to be found in the menus. It's definitely installed though, I checked in Synaptic (and otherwise the .jar file wouldn't be able to run in eclipse either, right?).
1.) Is there a CL tool for assigning default applications to file extensions? What command would I have to use for this specific binding (bcs I'm not very good at making the glyphs in your standard man page into a functioning command, I always get it wrong...)?
2.) What can I do about that mess in the menus? Why are there duplicates for most stuff, but also something is obviously missing?
Thanks, Ben
Linux Mint Quiana with Xfce
on Acer TravelMate 8172Z /w Intel Pentium dual core U5400,
Intel HD Graphics
bennypr0fane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications