messed up application menu in LXDE / changing default app

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

messed up application menu in LXDE / changing default app

Postby bennypr0fane on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello,
My primary concern here is setting the default application for handling .jar files to OpenJDK, but the problem I'm having with that *may* be related to the fact that my application menu is a mess.
Specifically, I installed LXDE and made it my default desktop. Everything's normal, except in the menu there's an entry called "Other", and it's about 3 screens tall and contains about 130 applications, including ALL the GUI ones that are already in the other sub-menus, plus many command line apps.

This hasn't been a big issue, since I've still been able to find what I'm looking for.
However, when I tried to open a .jar file, it was linked to Eclipse (Java IDE) as the default application. I want to change that to OpenJDK, but it's nowhere to be found in the menus. It's definitely installed though, I checked in Synaptic (and otherwise the .jar file wouldn't be able to run in eclipse either, right?).
1.) Is there a CL tool for assigning default applications to file extensions? What command would I have to use for this specific binding (bcs I'm not very good at making the glyphs in your standard man page into a functioning command, I always get it wrong...)?
2.) What can I do about that mess in the menus? Why are there duplicates for most stuff, but also something is obviously missing?
Thanks, Ben
Linux Mint Debian Edition (201303) with Cinnamon
on Acer TravelMate 8172Z /w Intel Pentium dual core U5400,
Intel HD Graphics
bennypr0fane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications