Launch Application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Launch Application

Postby arta on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm using Mint Debian and after downloading a iso file with Firefox and clicking on the file I get a box asking if I want to open the file or open the containing folder. If I click on open the containing folder I am presented with a window asking me to choose an application. My question is what application would I select to simply open the directory that contains the file. Other version of Mint open the correct folder but I don't know which app is opening the folder. I'm not even sure if this is a Firefox setting or a Mint setting.

thanks
Arta
I have fought reality for forty years. I have finally beaten it into submission, but it's fighting back with vigor.
arta
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Launch Application

Postby karlchen on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello, Arta.

In order to open the folder which holds a downloaded file in Firefox, you do not select any application at all. Instead you proceed like this:
Inside Firefox go to Tools => Downloads (or press <Strg><Shift>Y). Right click on the downloaded file and from the context menu select "Display target folder". This should open the default file manager - whichever this may be on LMDE, it is Nautilus on Lisa - and it will display the appropriate folder.

HTH,
Karl
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Postby arta on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Karl,

That's what I do then I get a window saying" Launch Application This link needs to be opened with an application. Send to:" and a chooser button is in the window If I push the chooser button, Another Application, window opens but there is nothing there that will open the folder. There is a search but I cant find the file manager.

Arta
I have fought reality for forty years. I have finally beaten it into submission, but it's fighting back with vigor.
arta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sonsum on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:48 pm

I've had this happen before, but I've never solved it. The easiest solution is to just navigate to your Downloads folder.

Hopefully someone can come up with a better solution than that though.
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Postby titetanium on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:22 am

For iso files, the application you want to use is brasero if you are using GNOME, k3b if using KDE, xfburn if using XFCE. Then you pop in a blank cd and burn that.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications