Launch Application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Launch Application

Postby arta on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm using Mint Debian and after downloading a iso file with Firefox and clicking on the file I get a box asking if I want to open the file or open the containing folder. If I click on open the containing folder I am presented with a window asking me to choose an application. My question is what application would I select to simply open the directory that contains the file. Other version of Mint open the correct folder but I don't know which app is opening the folder. I'm not even sure if this is a Firefox setting or a Mint setting.

thanks
Arta
I have fought reality for forty years. I have finally beaten it into submission, but it's fighting back with vigor.
arta
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Launch Application

Postby karlchen on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello, Arta.

In order to open the folder which holds a downloaded file in Firefox, you do not select any application at all. Instead you proceed like this:
Inside Firefox go to Tools => Downloads (or press <Strg><Shift>Y). Right click on the downloaded file and from the context menu select "Display target folder". This should open the default file manager - whichever this may be on LMDE, it is Nautilus on Lisa - and it will display the appropriate folder.

HTH,
Karl
Endless legions of bigoted, brutal, bloodthirsty Orcs from the dark land of Mordor are bringing desolation, despair and death to the poor inhabitants of the Middle East. [1]
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby arta on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Karl,

That's what I do then I get a window saying" Launch Application This link needs to be opened with an application. Send to:" and a chooser button is in the window If I push the chooser button, Another Application, window opens but there is nothing there that will open the folder. There is a search but I cant find the file manager.

Arta
I have fought reality for forty years. I have finally beaten it into submission, but it's fighting back with vigor.
arta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sonsum on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:48 pm

I've had this happen before, but I've never solved it. The easiest solution is to just navigate to your Downloads folder.

Hopefully someone can come up with a better solution than that though.
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Postby titetanium on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:22 am

For iso files, the application you want to use is brasero if you are using GNOME, k3b if using KDE, xfburn if using XFCE. Then you pop in a blank cd and burn that.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications