Kompozer on LMDE??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
podzol

Kompozer on LMDE??

Post by podzol »

Can I install or run Kompozer on LMDe?

I haven't been able to find a repository which offers Kompozer.

I have downloaded the tar.gz file for Linux and extracted it, but can't get it to do anything.

I'd be grateful for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Kompozer on LMDE??

Post by cwsnyder »

I think you are being steered to the Bluefish editor now. I don't know why, but that seems to be the one under active development.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

podzol,

I just downloaded the tar.gz from kompozer's website (http://kompozer.net/). When you extract the file, you should find a folder called "kompozer." Open the folder and find a file also called "kompozer." Right click on that file and go to "properties" then to "permissions." Make sure the file is marked executable and click "OK." Now double click on that same file called "kompozer," and if it asks, click "execute." Hopefully it runs for you.

Matt
glenn4uk

Post by glenn4uk »

podzol,

Kompozer is available in the Debian Wheezy (stable) repo.
podzol

Post by podzol »

glenn4uk wrote:podzol,

Kompozer is available in the Debian Wheezy (stable) repo.
Any chance of a link? There are an amazing number here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/
podzol

Post by podzol »

Matt267 wrote:podzol,

I just downloaded the tar.gz from kompozer's website (http://kompozer.net/). When you extract the file, you should find a folder called "kompozer." Open the folder and find a file also called "kompozer." Right click on that file and go to "properties" then to "permissions." Make sure the file is marked executable and click "OK." Now double click on that same file called "kompozer," and if it asks, click "execute." Hopefully it runs for you.

Matt
I've tried that on two installations and nothing happens. In each case it was already ticked to allow executing. When I open a terminal in that folder and type kompozer I get:

xxx@xxx:~/Downloads/kompozer$ kompozer
The program 'kompozer' is currently not installed. To run 'kompozer' please ask your administrator to install the package 'kompozer'
kompozer: command not found
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

podzol,

I was hoping that was going to work for you. What version of Kompozer did you download? I tested it with version 0.8b3. Also, have you installed update pack 6 yet? I wonder if there's a dependency issue. My troubleshooting abilities are limited, so, hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes by.

Matt
podzol

Post by podzol »

Matt267 wrote:podzol,

I was hoping that was going to work for you. What version of Kompozer did you download? I tested it with version 0.8b3. Also, have you installed update pack 6 yet? I wonder if there's a dependency issue. My troubleshooting abilities are limited, so, hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes by.

Matt
I downloaded kompozer-0.8b3.en-US.gcc4.2-i686.tar.gz from here: http://www.kompozer.net/download.php
Yes I've installed update pack 6.
I might try booting a live CD and see if it runs under Nadia or an older one from Ubuntu days. I suspect I need to type something more than just "kompozer" into the terminal to do it that way but haven't a clue what.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

Have you tried running it by double clicking on the "kompozer" file? When you try to run it in the terminal, does the terminal show any errors?
podzol

Post by podzol »

Hi,
When I open a terminal in that folder and type kompozer the window reads like this:

The program 'kompozer' is currently not installed. To run 'kompozer' please ask your administrator to install the package 'kompozer'
kompozer: command not found.
podzol

Post by podzol »

UPDATE - Kompozer now running.

I tried running it in the terminal again by entering the full path (instead of from a terminal already at that folder) and got the error message:

kompozer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There is no sign of that lib in the repository, but there is ia32-libs-gtk and Installing that claims to have removed libjack0 (whatever that is) and to have installed a great long list of stuff - mostly libs - and now Kompozer works.

From the terminal, it runs albeit after about 20 or 20 repetitions in the terminal of:
(kompozer-bin:6934): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

Also, simply clicking on the kompozer file in the extracted directory now starts up kompozer.

I haven't tried it out yet, but it is nice to have it apparently up and running.

I wonder if there is a downside to what I've just done?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Removing libjack0 may have borked your audio playback and recording if your pulse-audio was routed through the low-latency jack connections.
podzol

Post by podzol »

Sound out and mic in both seem to work fine. I can't find a mixer, but there is a slider under sound which adjusts mic level. I'm not sure if I had a mixer before.

I noticed another "libjack" in the to-be-installed list and looking now, I see that libjack-jackd2-0 and libjack-jackd2-0:i386 are installed and they are also described as low latency sound servers.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

The new jack servers possibly replaced the older jack server, I don't know. I just recognized jack and jackctl from previous work getting my sound system in Ubuntu 8.04 to finally work again when updating from Ubuntu 7.10 (introduction of pulse-audio as default in place of alsa). There is a jack mixer package available to work with jack, or you might get by with the alsamixer or veromix or pavucontrol packages.
c_cinq

Post by c_cinq »

podzol wrote:Hi,
When I open a terminal in that folder and type kompozer the window reads like this:

kompozer: command not found.
try xxx@xxx:~/Downloads/kompozer$ ./kompozer

Return to “LMDE Archive”