Multiarch, ia32-libs, Wine, Skype & others

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jericho

Re: Multiarch, ia32-libs, Wine, Skype & others

Post by jericho »

I seem to be having an issue with an application that is almost definitely related to this multiarch situation. The application in question is Steam. Aptitude successfully pulls down Steam and a number of (i386) packages that it has as dependencies. However, many Steam games use OpenGL. At startup Steam complains that my video card is not using GLX direct rendering. The fix for this that I obtained from a debian forum is to install libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386. This does make steam stop complaining, however, it breaks Cinnamon. After installing that package, strange behavior such as new windows refusing to open begins to occur, and when I reboot I am no longer sent straight into graphical mode. Attempting to run startx produces errors (related to glx, of course). Purging the libgl1-fglrx:i386 package fixes everything (except that I'm back to being unable to run any OpenGL games from Steam).

How can I fix this so that the two OpenGL libraries can co-exist peacefully? More importantly, is this a bug? It seems to me that there should not be any packages that upon being installed will break your system. Yet the mere installation of libgl1-fglrx:i386 does just that.

Some details about my setup that may be relevant:
1. I am running the proprietary fglrx driver from AMD/ATI with a X configuration created with that driver's setup utilities.

Other details that probably aren't relevant but someone might find useful:
1. 3.11-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.11.8-1 (2013-11-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux (relevant output of uname -a)
2. Installed from LMDE201403 Cinammon Edition
3. My video card is a Radeon R9 270
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

You might try installing the newer fglrx from Debian Testing repos. This will include the newer libgl1-fglrx-glx too (see the full list of the packages to update here).
jericho

Post by jericho »

That broke things even worse. I installed fglrx-driver along with other suggested packages with aptitude: fglrx-atieventsd fglrx-modules-dkms libfglrx-amdxvba1 libgl1-fglrx-glx libgl1-fglrx-glx-i386 libfglrx-amdxvba1:i386. The result was that aticonfig could not detect my card and cinammon would continue crashing and dropping me into fallback mode. Purging all of those packages left me with no X at all, just a command line. So, the only thing I could figure out to do to get out of it was re-install some of them so at least I could get to the desktop (albeit in fallback mode because cinnamon crashes) and then force an install of the ati proprietary driver downloaded directly from AMD/RADEON.

Everything seems to be working and I am back to square one. I still don't have the 32 bit OpenGL working for steam. Fixing that breaks cinnamon.
Talegolas

Post by Talegolas »

Hi,

trying to make cisco anyconnect vpn client work, but it seems I need the 32bit libraries as the client provided is not 64 bit.

Any notion which libraries I would need to get?

I am trying to use openconnect too, but seems i might need to get cert, or some other configuration information provided by my company..not sure if i can get that.

thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”