How to Monitor Home Network Access/Family etc?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Chrisnz

How to Monitor Home Network Access/Family etc?

Post by Chrisnz »

I want to know who's connected to our home wireless system in a graphical way. Simple?? Other Linux versions seem to have a graphical Icon on the toolbar to do this. Click and show whos connected - however I cant find this on LMDE? And I cant seem to find something I recognize as suitable via synaptic's?
Can you help?

Thanks from a "Dad" :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lanser

Re: How to Monitor Home Network Access/Family etc?

Post by Lanser »

Hi Chrisnz. Can you please tell us the names of Linux distros you have used, that have this feature ?

Lanser
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

Mint 9 - has the icon present (Network connections) is there something similar in DM?
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

If you want to monitor the connections of your PC/laptop there is a tool that might help you (it will tell you the IP connections, ports...): Hardinfo (it is available in the repos of most of distros, and it will give you full information of your system: When you open the app, go to network and you will find what you are looking for).
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

Thanks Rop75 - however as you say "full info of system..." - bit too much info! Isn't there anything simpler?? Anyone tried EtherApe?
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

[quote="Chrisnz"]Thanks Rop75 - however as you say "full info of system..." - bit too much info! Isn't there anything simpler??

It would now appear that manufacturers are loading more "smart" software onto modems. I've since changed from a simple Linksys WAG200G (very simple connection software) to a Netgear DGN2000 (little better for blocking and simple filtering) to a Telecommunications - (Telecom NZ/Spark) Huawei HG630B. This last one has much more control and timed access as well.

This was a step up, however - as most parents are probably finding out - smart-phones and other devices have evolved to the point they don’t "need your access privileges” they just just need 'money' on the device and kids can see and do anything :(

So now at night “Phones etc must be left out” for inspection... sad to say one must rely on honesty is the best policy and 'ask dad' if your not sure on anything.

Talking in the family about the dangers that are on the internet is needed as well. They just need to make … good choices.

Thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”