LMDE tmux backspace binds to ^? instead of ^H

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Trahloc

LMDE tmux backspace binds to ^? instead of ^H

Post by Trahloc »

Hello,

Ran across this issue with a server I was connecting to that wouldn't accept ^? as the backspace in vim which is what made me finally notice the error. Turns out both of my LMDE installs bind backspace as ^? instead of ^H and refuse to let you override it to ^H. Sounds like a patch that was sent out a few years ago which freebsd removed but may have snuck its way into the LMDE project. The freebsd bug report: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=153942

I have no idea if that is the culprit but I thought maybe someone with more skill might be able to confirm that or not. I just know both installs that bash has ^H, screen has ^H, and tmux has ^?. One was made months ago and the other was done this week.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE tmux backspace binds to ^? instead of ^H

Post by xenopeek »

Wouldn't you just set up `stty erase ^?` in your profile on the target server? Or if I read it the wrong way around what you meant, `stty erase ^H`. So that the terminal on the server is configured correctly for the backspace key sent from your machine.
Trahloc

Post by Trahloc »

xenopeek wrote:Wouldn't you just set up `stty erase ^?` in your profile on the target server? Or if I read it the wrong way around what you meant, `stty erase ^H`. So that the terminal on the server is configured correctly for the backspace key sent from your machine.
The reason that specific server had issues was due to a misconfiguration it had. I've since resolved that server's error and it now properly falls back to accepting ^? for backspace in vi.

Just seemed odd that default bash had backspace as ^H, screen had backspace as ^H, but tmux would do ^?, even if you tried forcing ^H via stty, it'd refuse and only send ^?. That's what made me think it might be related to the tmux patch that freebsd removed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Trying to wrap my head around this, so I might be mistaken, but if the bash session on the remote server had ^H as backspace and you were sending ^? for backspace then you should have done stty erase ^? to make the bash on the remote server accept ^? for backspace. Right?

It's been a while since I tangled daily with servers :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”