System-Config-Printer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

System-Config-Printer

Postby REarle on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Hello all, I'm fairly new to the forums, been using Mint for almost a year and a half now. Recently I have been having problems with printing - specifically with a printer that is shared on a windows computer on our network - it's worked great up until recently. I removed it and tried to re-add it as part of my troubleshooting and when I try to readd it, it will freeze at the point of authentication when I try to enter the username and password for the PC the printer is on. This is the text that occurs in the terminal when this happens:

system-config-printer
no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory
TypeError: smb_select_function() takes exactly 5 arguments (6 given)
Caught non-fatal exception. Traceback:
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/newprinter.py", line 2310, in on_tvSMBBrowser_row_expanded
while smbc_auth.perform_authentication () > 0:
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/pysmb.py", line 148, in perform_authentication
Gdk.pointer_grab (d.get_window(), True)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/types.py", line 113, in function
return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
TypeError: pointer_grab() takes exactly 6 arguments (2 given)
Continuing anyway..

I've seen similar issues happen in other linux flavors (on their forums after searching for my problem) with the same error and they had to put out an update for system-config-printer so I would imagine that is the case here too.

As i said, the effect / final result is that I can browse to the shared computer but when I try to authenticate to it the cancel and ok buttons are unresponsive and I can't go any further other than to force close the printer configuration (system-config-printer)
REarle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: System-Config-Printer

Postby Monsta on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:57 am

REarle wrote:when I try to readd it, it will freeze at the point of authentication when I try to enter the username and password for the PC the printer is on.

Known bug.

REarle wrote:I've seen similar issues happen in other linux flavors (on their forums after searching for my problem) with the same error and they had to put out an update for system-config-printer so I would imagine that is the case here too.

That's right, but since you're in LMDE, you're on your own to get yourself the updated packages. Look here.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Software & Applications