How to Respin LMDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How to Respin LMDE

Postby kajukenbo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Hello all.

I keep several copies of LMDE around for rescue purposes and for refurbishing old hardware for people, "like you doooo".

Anyway, the point is that it now takes several times longer to download packages and update than it does to actually install LMDE, which does not seem to impress new users.
I would like to "respin" a LMDE Live CD with current packages, etc. and carry that instead. I'll stick with i486 to accommodate older hardware.
However, I cannot find any up-to-date information on how to do so.
I can do it with kickstart on Fedora/CentOS/RHEL/SL almost in my sleep, but Fedora is often too 'bleeding edge' for new users and it is not suitable for older hardware anymore.
Even the EL class versions usually require a i686 (or even x64) kernel now.

Would someone kindly point me in the right direction? I do not mind doing the work, as long as I do not need to do *all* of the work ;-)

Mahalo!
kajukenbo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to Respin LMDE

Postby kajukenbo on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Lots of views but no replies...
SOMEONE must know how to do it, or there would not be a Live CD at all. Hmm.

Anyway, I've made some progress using a process I cobbled together from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

I get an up-to-date, bootable & installable Live CD about 75% of the time.
The other 25% of the time, the installer hangs on the never clearly explained 'calculating file indexes' during testing - and I am *not* appending 'toram' to the kernel line.
In fact, the kernel line is empty of everything except 'config', but one issue at a time, eh?

Anyway, I do see a 'bug' of sorts when the installer is functioning as intended -

The "Quit" dialog does not have a shutdown button, or any button besides Cancel for that matter.
It only says it will shutdown in 60 seconds.
Even when I install the image into a VM, the dialog is still lacking features.
The 'Logout' button only shows 'Cancel' also.

Would someone kindly point me towards what I am missing? Does the update switch some packages?
Is policykit missing permissions? I'm flying blind here.

Also, how in Debian do I change the *Default* secondary groups a new user is added to?
/etc/adduser.conf seems to be the ticket if 'adduser' is called (duh) but what about when a standard 'useradd' is used?

FWIW, am I asking these questions in the wrong forum? Is this supposed to only be for user / high-level stuff?

Thanks!
kajukenbo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kajukenbo on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:17 am

Really? Not one reply aside from my follow-up?
Do the Devs not *want* the ISO to be current or user-maintainable or something along those lines?
Am I better off using a different Debian-testing-based ISO for my purposes?

Thanks
kajukenbo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:21 pm

I believe there is a guide in community.linuxmint.com on this topic. the tool used was something called mint-constructor
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Monsta on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Unfortunately, no more. Both mintConstructor and that tutorial have been removed. Later Clem explained why it happened.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kurotsugi on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:45 pm

a lot of things seems have happened when I weren't here. it seems that I need to catch up :3
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kajukenbo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Thank you for the replies.
I understand the 'branding' concerns I suppose, but that is the nature of Open Source - the CODE is generally free to do with as you please.
Maybe asking people not to use the Mint branding would have been a better course of action instead of leaving people in the cold.
I would not even be concerned if there was not about 900MB of updates for an ISO released 9 months ago, 2013 March.
Ironically, the people in that thread seemed to be discussing the same stuff I was: updates, non-PAE kernel, recovering old machines...
That seemed to be about the 'flagship' Ubuntu edition, of course. No word of a release date for an updated LMDE ISO.
Looks like it will not appear until some time in 2014.
Simply re-spinning LMDE "in-house" every month or two would make this a non-issue.
Debian users do not usually expect the same degree of hand-holding or babysitting as the users of some other branches.

I guess I'll move to SparkyLinux instead. It is based on pure Debian Testing with the built-in capability to update & re-spin.
It isn't as polished as LMDE, but I just sent them $50 because I had an updated, bootable & installable ISO within an hour or two of installing the distro.
First try, in fact.

it is funny that you mentioned the tutorial... I was encouraged to post here after I pointed out that I could not find it.
[ viewtopic.php?f=47&t=119271 ] That is why I started this thread.
All I was told was that the tutorial was outdated... Nice.
Last edited by kajukenbo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kajukenbo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kajukenbo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 pm

For those of you digging for the answer, it is here [ http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2472#comment-101035 ], comment #9 as an edit to "Monsta":

"9. Monsta Says:
November 14th, 2013 at 6:06 am

And not a single word about why mintConstructor has been silently removed from the repositories and github (and its tutorial deleted from the community website).

Edit by Clem: Hi Monsta. I might write about it on Segfault after the stable release and if you catch me on IRC in the meantime I’ll be happy to explain what happened. To give you a quick answer: The reason we no longer distribute it is because it’s hurting our project much more than it’s helping a few people in our community remaster Mint for their personal needs. The reason it happened overnight was because, apparently, we released two editions we never worked on (Studio Edition and Dewdrop). Some people used our name, logos and identity to promote their own products, and in some cases to our own community. Branding issues and policies are sensitive topics on which we need a discussion. We’ve seen great remasters over the years and we know people also use the tool for personal use. That’s something we need to think about long term. What had to be done quickly though was to contact the so-called “Linux Mint” maintainers and to politely ask them to stop using our identity (hopefully they replied by now and I’ll read their email post Mint 16), and to discontinue the tool they were using which made it all possible for them to do so in the first place.
"
kajukenbo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications