Cinnamon panel calendar applet, syncable

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cinnamon panel calendar applet, syncable

Postby bennypr0fane on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello,

I'd like the Cinnamon panel calendar applet to show entries from my actual calendar, which I currently sync between Google calendar and my phone. The idea is to get that calendar synced to some application in my LMDE, which the desktop widget/panel applet would pull its data from.
For instance, the Gnome-Shell calendar applet can do that with Evolution, but it seems like the Cinnamon equivalent doesn't have that feature. Any other kind of dock, desktop widget etc. that'll play nice with Cinnamon is ok though, I just guess the built-in panel applet would be the most elegant one.
Also, I am trying to replace Google calendar with fruux.com. They support syncing to a number of apps and services - CardDAV, CalDAV too. So the desktop widget in question would have to pull its information from that app ot service.
Please point me to stuff that can do this kind of magic!
Thanks, Ben
Linux Mint Debian Edition (201303) with Cinnamon
on Acer TravelMate 8172Z /w Intel Pentium dual core U5400,
Intel HD Graphics
bennypr0fane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnamon panel calendar applet, syncable

Postby JakubRimal on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:50 pm

Google Calendar Indicator works great for me (Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon).

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install calendar-indicator

After these commands you will see it in Menu > Other > Calendar. :wink:
JakubRimal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mfreeman on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:37 pm

The Google Calendar Indicator works in a pinch, but I'd still prefer a nicer solution. It doesn't feel like a unified part of Cinnamon (pop-up doesn't use the panel theme, icon isn't movable apart from the aging system tray as a whole, isn't connected to the clock/calendar applet, etc). I really don't like that the calendar in the Cinnamon panel clock is pretty much non-interactive and useless. I want to see a nice, tightly integrated clock/calendar applet that not only shows the time/date and basic (currently non-functional) calendar, but also integrates with whatever calendar application or online calendar you'd like to use, be it Evolution, Thunderbird, Google Calendar, or whatever. I've heard that this feature was supposed to be added to Cinnamon 1.8, but it's not there even in 2.2. All official movement toward this is apparently either stopped or not being talked about anywhere that I can see. One place on github that was discussing it, the applet branch was deleted and discussion closed. I really don't understand what the problem is. If I had the time to learn and could wrap my brain around what's involved in writing it into a 3rd-party applet of my own, I would.
mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mfreeman on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Google Calendar Indicator is also not U.S. friendly. The calendar can't be set to Saturday- or Sunday-first orientation, and the dates when scheduling are DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY.
mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications