[Solved] How do I install Nitrux icon package

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jr121705

[Solved] How do I install Nitrux icon package

Post by jr121705 »

Hello,

I am using LMDE Cinnamon and just downloaded the icons Nitrux and have it extracted. I try opening it with Gdebi and it says: "Could not open 'nitrux'
The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file."

What do I do to get this icon package installed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How do I install Nitrux icon package

Post by Monsta »

Well, to answer that we have to know at least what's that "package" and where exactly you've downloaded it from.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I did a search and there's a page available on Launchpad for the Nitrux icon theme. First thing mentioned on that page is that the website [url=http://www.noobslab.com/]Noobslab[/url] is managing the PPA for this icon theme.

To get the icon theme installed you have to do this:
  • Open a terminal
  • Type the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/nitrux-os
  • Follow the instructions given in the terminal
  • Type the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nitrux-icons2
  • Follow the instructions given in the terminal
After installation, go to Menu > Cinnamon Settings > Themes > tab Other settings. Change the current icon theme to Nitrux under the option Icon theme.
Good luck!
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

Be aware that ppas are made for Ubuntu. As LMDE is not based on Ubuntu you might encounter problems. Icons are probably safe but I wouldn't do this with important packages.
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

py-thon wrote:Be aware that ppas are made for Ubuntu. As LMDE is not based on Ubuntu you might encounter problems. Icons are probably safe but I wouldn't do this with important packages.
Thanks, I am newish to Linux so I didn't realize this. I couldn't get to work anyway because my computer couldn't communicate with the ppa (maybe its no longer working?). I am wondering, though, what should I do then to find new icons for my LMDE system I have been to the http://gnome-look.org/ site and found some cool icon sets that I would like to install bet can't figure out how to do it. Would those icons work in LMDE or are they for another OS?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

jr121705 wrote:I couldn't get to work anyway because my computer couldn't communicate with the ppa (maybe its no longer working?).
No, it's because not all the advices on the forums are equally useful. The add-apt-repository utility does not work correctly in Debian. Consider this a protection from any problems that can be caused by adding PPAs in Debian. :)

To get the package, you can go to this page, click on the entry you need, find the link to .deb there, download it and install it with gdebi-gtk.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Monsta wrote:To get the package, you can go to this page, click on the entry you need, find the link to .deb there, download it and install it with gdebi-gtk.
Even making the mistake myself, your option is also not really valid. The .deb packages on that Launchpad site are meant for Ubuntu and not for Debian. Same issue here: mixing Ubuntu packages with Debian...
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

Okay, I am a little confused here. So I can't use the ppa's in Debian because they are for Ubuntu. But the deb. packages at at launchpad are only for Ubuntu also? Does that mean that I can't use them or else just be careful? If I shouldn't use them, then where can I get icons for Debian?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Why don't you just download these icons here : http://nitrux.weebly.com/products.html
Then you unzip the file in ~/.icon

And these icons will be available on your system :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”