Desktop Sharing disappeared! Trying to get it back.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Desktop Sharing disappeared! Trying to get it back.

Postby WiiGame on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi, all. I'm new here, new to Mint, new to Debian, but not new to Unix (running a FreeBSD server at home) and not totally new to Linux (ran Ubuntu for a little while a few years back). But you can consider me a newbie for these purposes, since I don't know what to do and can't find any leads.

Here's what I'm running:
Code: Select all
$ uname -a
Linux arrow 3.10-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.10.5-1 (2013-08-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

After wasting time searching for other VNC solutions, and under a mostly untouched install, I finally found the Desktop Sharing icon on the Menu. That made things mostly easy (though I had to back down to Cinnamon 2D to get a win-based TightVNC client to see it, but that's not the issue here).

While troubleshooting other problems, I ran the following commands:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

(then "Y" several time to overwrite all config files, per instructions)

When I came back, I had a black screen where I could only see the time and UID at the very top. I couldn't see anything or get a response (but the keyboard lights worked and the time incremented) so I had to do a hard reset to reboot.

After which, I noticed I could not VNC into this system anymore, and that Desktop Sharing icon is now totally gone. I don't want to waste time again with other solutions since this one was simple and worked.

So my questions are (please answer any that you can):
1) Where does Desktop Sharing "live" at the terminal level? What's its technical name?
2) If truly totally gone, how do I get it back and run it again?
3) Has anyone else seen this before?

P.S. - My biggest general problem with LMDE so far has been installing packages from the Software Manager, then often not finding them in the Menu and having no idea where they went or how to run them. Is that typical? Any tips? I'm fine with Windows/GUIs and I'm fine in all text with FreeBSD (and their package mgmt), but this "hybrid" stuff is tasking me.
WiiGame
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications