Websites still recognising me after cookie deletion.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
some_random_2835

Websites still recognising me after cookie deletion.

Post by some_random_2835 »

Hi

Just upgraded to 201403 from 201303 via clean iso install. When I go on sites that recognise me via cookies (eg. facebook, gmail, etc.) and I then get out of all tabs to leave only a blank tab, clear cookies (I can see them before I delete them and can't see them after I delete them in the cookies window within preferences) and get back into these sites, they stil have me logged in. However, when I get out of the browser and get back in, the sites no longer recognise me (I'm in private browsing mode). Are the cookies not actually being deleted properly, or is there some other way the sites are now recognising me (eg. Javascript).

I'm using an ASUS Eee PC R101.

Thanks

some_random
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Websites still recognising me after cookie deletion.

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi some_random_2835,

Assuming you are using Firefox have you tried Ctrl + Shift + Delete? Just enable the appropriate items.
some_random_2835

I am using Firefox. I've used Ctrl+shift+delete, I've tried edit->preferences->privacy->show cookies->remove all cookies (they appear to be clear using both methods, looking at this window), cookies appear to be gone and yet websites still recognise me. What's the deal?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

let's try to change the setting :3

Code: Select all

time range to clear : everything 
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Use bleachbit it is in your repository and/or https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/clickclean/ for firefox and https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... beod?hl=fr for chrome:D
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi some_random_2835,
some_random_2835 wrote:I am using Firefox. I've used Ctrl+shift+delete, I've tried edit->preferences->privacy->show cookies->remove all cookies (they appear to be clear using both methods, looking at this window), cookies appear to be gone and yet websites still recognize me. What's the deal?
When you use Ctrl+shift+delete do you also enable the option "Active Logins" and do what kurotsugi suggests with "time range to clear : everything" (at the top of the window)? This works for me.
some_random_2835

I've just figured out something, so I can narrow down the problem a bit.

I'm in private browsing mode, however I am accepting cookies, but not third party cookies. When I hit ctrl+shift+delete, I don't get a window at all. I just assumed that it cleared all cookies, active logins, etc. without prompting me with the window. Also when I go to edit->preferences->privacy->show cookies, it appears clear of cookies, even when I am logged into websites that usually give me cookies (gmail, facebook, etc.). The browser then thus can't clear the cookies that it doesn't think are there (but are in reality). When I get out of all websites (leaving a blank tab) and hit ctrl+shift+delete, nothing therefore happens. If I am not in private browsing mode, the cookies window can see the cookies, I can clear them and I can do the same via ctrl+shift+delete (I am setting "time range to clear : everything" and I am checking all boxes, including "Active Logins"), so there is no problem when I am out of private browsing mode.

This still leaves the problem when I am in private browsing mode. Why can the "show cookies" window not see the cookies and why does ctrl+shift+delete not work in this mode when I am accepting cookies? This would be handy to fix, since I like working in private browsing mode, even though I can get the equivalent outside of it, by leaving "Remember my browsing and download history" and "Remember my search and form history" unchecked, denying third party cookies, setting "keep (cookies) until" to "I close Firefox" and checking "Clear history when Firefox closes" (is this equivalent?).
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi some_random_2835,
I can get the equivalent outside of it, by leaving "Remember my browsing and download history" and "Remember my search and form history" unchecked, denying third party cookies, setting "keep (cookies) until" to "I close Firefox" and checking "Clear history when Firefox closes" (is this equivalent?).
That is the way I have Firefox setup. This site has some good information on Private Browsing. Basically Private Browsing determines what Firefox saves when shutdown. By using the settings you mention in the quote you get the same affect with the added bonus that you can use ctrl+shift+delete at any time to clean things up.
some_random_2835

Still, it would be nice if you could see and delete cookies in private browsing mode, since they can be set to be accepted in this mode. This is clearly a bug.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi some_random_2835,

There is a bug report about this which you can read about here.
Doesn't look like anything will be done about it though. :?

Return to “LMDE Archive”