Cannot install App DPKG is in use?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Cannot install App DPKG is in use?

Postby CMAR606 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:16 am

Hello im new here just got done installing LMDE about 30 min ago its now 15 min after 2 am... Just waiting on dropbox to get done

So anyways when I opened the graphical software center, evertime I tried to install a package it would download, and either say check internet connection or it couldnt install because DPKG has it locked up?

This is a fresh install? only thing I did was install Nvidia drivers, and update the system to UP8

NOW HERES THE KICKER.............

If I use Synaptic.... I dont get any errors at all and the package installs the first time.. Where the graphical front end says its installed ( the application is) but when you go to the mint menu its not there....

Is this a bug so far loving Mint DE ( debian)

Christopher ~
CMAR606
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot install App DPKG is in use?

Postby py-thon on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 am

CMAR606 wrote:Where the graphical front end says its installed ( the application is) but when you go to the mint menu its not there....
Is it an application with GUI? Applications without GUI won't turn up in mint menu, you have to start them via terminal.

The two most probable reasons for problems with the software center are
1. You can only run one instance of either software center, synaptic or update manager. The update manager after installation is configured to check every 15 minutes for updates (stupid, but that's the way it is), so it blocks the others a lot of the time. Set the update manager to check every 4 hours or something like that, updates don't even come in every day.
2. Software center does not always work, a sad reality. Synaptic is more reliable and quicker to start.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: LMDE Mate 32bit
py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CMAR606 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Honestly I am not sure what I hit but when it came up it had colorful icons that said

Audio

Office

Internet

this and that...

etc etc.. thats where I was getting the dpkg errors but I use Synaptic and all is good ^_^

Christopher
CMAR606
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sdibaja on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:09 pm

I am having a similar problem here with Software Manager... not always, but frequently:

Synaptic is smooth and works very well... it's the damn Software Manager that is having issues... I was able to install a few small things with no issue but now it got hung on PlayOnLinix after the download part. is PlayOnLinix installed by default? I killed Software Manager then went to Synaptic and saw it was already installed.

I tried an experiment with Dropbox. looked in Synaptic first, not there. Tried Software Manager but got the same Apt error, then checked back in Synaptic and it shows "installed". Not in menus, no idea what the executable is ... tried "reinstall" with Synaptic, still nothing. Hard Boot to see if it appears in Panel, nada. I should file a Bug Report but to who do I report this?

I am able to install .deb files with no issue so that is not it.

Maybe Dropbox just does not run on LMDE... anybody know?
sdibaja
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CMAR606 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 pm

sdibaja wrote:I am having a similar problem here with Software Manager... not always, but frequently:

Synaptic is smooth and works very well... it's the damn Software Manager that is having issues... I was able to install a few small things with no issue but now it got hung on PlayOnLinix after the download part. is PlayOnLinix installed by default? I killed Software Manager then went to Synaptic and saw it was already installed.

I tried an experiment with Dropbox. looked in Synaptic first, not there. Tried Software Manager but got the same Apt error, then checked back in Synaptic and it shows "installed". Not in menus, no idea what the executable is ... tried "reinstall" with Synaptic, still nothing. Hard Boot to see if it appears in Panel, nada. I should file a Bug Report but to who do I report this?

I am able to install .deb files with no issue so that is not it.

Maybe Dropbox just does not run on LMDE... anybody know?

I have it installed... I had to install the natilus package I think and it removed the caja one and has been working fine for me since.
CMAR606
Level 1
Level 1

Postby beck2929 on Thu May 08, 2014 4:31 am

I would also report the same issue, since fresh install I'm having the dpkg error when installing from software center, so that installation seems broken though sometimes the installed software shows up in the menu, others doesn't. When I installed remmina, I opened the software center, started from the main package, then I installed the vnc-plugin as well, but the plugin didn't show up inside remmina. After Mint restart I found out that the plugin was correctly installed. Can't figure out this weird behavior. :cry:
beck2929
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 pm

the problem usually caused by update manager. if you have it installed, turn it off then try to install it again.
kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AlanWalker on Sun May 11, 2014 11:20 am

py-thon wrote:
CMAR606 wrote:Where the graphical front end says its installed ( the application is) but when you go to the mint menu its not there....
Is it an application with GUI? Applications without GUI won't turn up in mint menu, you have to start them via terminal.

Ha! So that's the reason an application I installed didn't show in the Mint Menu!

Thanks!
AlanWalker
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications