Newer sotware

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Newer sotware

Postby majest on Sat May 31, 2014 5:12 am

Please can you add this software to the repositories for LMDE. They are not available with UP8. Thanks.

1. octave 3.81 (or later)
2. palemoon
majest
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newer sotware

Postby wayne128 on Sat May 31, 2014 5:32 am

majest wrote:Please can you add this software to the repositories for LMDE. They are not available with UP8. Thanks.

2. palemoon

It is very easy to either run Palemoon linux or install with its installer.

This way, you can have both Palemoon and Firefox running
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby killer de bug on Sat May 31, 2014 12:32 pm

majest wrote:Please can you add this software to the repositories for LMDE. They are not available with UP8. Thanks.

You can take it from Debian Testing repo: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/octave
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby majest on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:35 am

wayne128 wrote:

2. palemoon

It is very easy to either run Palemoon linux or install with its installer.

This way, you can have both Palemoon and Firefox running

I just installed Palemoon as you suggested - it works nicely, thank you! One remaining problem is getting the shortcuts and icons in the menus. With repo installation, these are done automatically.

I prefer XFCE over MATE but either way the "Main Menu" editor is hopeless.
majest
Level 1
Level 1

Postby majest on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:38 am

killer de bug wrote:

You can take it from Debian Testing repo: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/octave

Thanks - I have now done this. I guess I did it the wrong way since I now have a broken system (there are conflicts when I try and install other programs - such as gnome-games). Everything works OK for now but I will need to do it again.

What I did was put the debian jessie repo in my sources.list and then used dpkg and gfedi to resolve the dependencies. Is that wrong?
majest
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 am

majest wrote:What I did was put the debian jessie repo in my sources.list and then used dpkg and gfedi to resolve the dependencies. Is that wrong?

Yes, you should have use apt to handle this. It would have shown you which packages are conflicting. :?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Software & Applications