Software Manager will not open..

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Software Manager will not open..

Postby rfharabin on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:07 pm

I used it to install Opera and then installed Startup Manager. Opera installed and works OK, but Startup Manager must have goofed things up as when I try to open it up, it tells me that I have entered the wrong password and now when I try to use the Software Manager I get the wrong password message also. I have run an update and used gparted to look at my drives so my password is OK. I uninstalled Startup manager with an apt-get with help here.

What can I do to get the Software Manager working again.
rfharabin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software Manager will not open..

Postby mdavies5 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:43 am

My Software Manager also packed up without reason. The correct name for this package is mintinstall so you can re-install from a terminal with: sudo apt-get install mintinstall.
If it fails to start then try to start it from a terminal with "mintinstall". If there any problems you will receive messages. In my case I received "No module named webkit". I opened synaptics and searched on "webkit". I highlighted all the packages already installed and marked them for re-installation. I then tried to start mintinstall in a terminal and got the message "No module named cairo". Agan I went to Synaptic and searched for all cairo packages and marked them for re-installation. Now Software Manager (alias mintinstall) works fine but I still prefer Synaptic for most installations.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rfharabin on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, It gave me some new ideas to try. Sorry for the long delay but we had a few events here only two that were desirable, our 50th anniversary and the soccer world cup.

The terminal gave me the following;

ron@ronz1 ~ $ sudo apt-get install mintinstall
[sudo] password for ron:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
mintinstall is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
ron@ronz1 ~ $

The Software Manager still says that I have the wrong password. I tried opening the Software Manager in the terminal and get the same message.
Again I opened GParted and the password works OK with it.

I next went to the Synaptic Package Manager and reinstalled mintinstall but this did not fix my problem either.

Is it possible that there are two passwords somehow?
Any other ideas?
rfharabin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby py-thon on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:49 pm

1. Try
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get --reinstall install mintinstall
to reinstall mintinstall. This will reinstall the package from repos.

2. Yes, there can be two passwords in LMDE. Normally only the user password is used and (provided this user is member of group sudo) allows acting as root. But you can have a separate root password if you choose to do so. I did once, but sadly this doesn't work as expected because in this case some programs want you to enter the user password while others expect the root password. The popup won't give you a clue. You end up having to use the same password for both.
Tower: LMDE Mate 64bit - Netbook: LMDE Mate 32bit
py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Software & Applications