Question to uname

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SebastianZ

Question to uname

Post by SebastianZ »

Hi all,

I have two computers, one with the Ubuntu-based Mint (actually it is a colleague's computer) and the second with Debian-based Mint. Yesterday I had a strange problem: a program (Xilinx ISE Toolchain for programming FPGAs) worked on the Ubuntu-based Mint, but not on the Debian-based Mint. After a little work I found out that it was a problem with the uname-command. The toolchain wasn't able to get the information about the system.

In Ubuntu-based Mint uname printed the following information:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux xilinxmint1 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ uname -i
x86_64
in Debian-based Mint uname printed:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux xilinxmint2 3.11-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.11.8-1 (2013-11-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ uname -i
unknown
So my simple solution was to copy the working uname binary to the Debian-based Mint. And now it is working. I know this is not a very good solution. This is why I'm asking here. I didn't find any more information by googling. Is it possible, that this problem is because of an old version of uname?

Thanks for helping!!!
Sebastian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zill

Re: Question to uname

Post by Zill »

SebastianZ: Firstly, let me welcome you to Linux Mint forums and I trust that you will enjoy using this great distro. If you would like to post in the "Introduce yourself" section it will be great to hear a bit more about who you are and how you got here!

uname is part of package coreutils, which in LMDE is at version 8.21-1. I have also tested uname with Debian Jessie's latest coreutils version 8.23-3 and get the same result and so it isn't that LMDE is outdated. My guess is that Ubuntu have patched coreutils themselves which is why you get a different result with Ubuntu-based Mint.

This problem actually goes back to 2005 and so, unfortunately, I doubt you will find it gets resolved very soon! See Debian Bug #655428 for more details.

As a workaround, you can use the "-m" option which should provide the information you require.
SebastianZ

Post by SebastianZ »

Hi Zill,

thank you very much for your fast response. It seems a little bit funny (or even annoying) that different Linux OS use slightly different versions of some commands.

Sebastian
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

That seems crazy that tools are in development and that some distros fix them for their needs?
SebastianZ

Post by SebastianZ »

No, this wasn't my statement. I'm wondering why such a fundamental command like uname doesn't behave the same way after 10 years (as far as I understand). Of course distris have to fix bugs by their own, but after that I would expect, that they are fixed everywhere. :) But never mind, it is working now and this is the most important thing. :)

Sebastian
Zill

Post by Zill »

Unfortunately, I believe Canonical/Ubuntu have a bit of a reputation for "doing their own thing" and not sending fixes upstream so that other distros can benefit. :-(

Return to “LMDE Archive”