How to install Flash Plugin updates

Post by linuxgrrl »

hi,
On firefox, my about:plugins shows this:
Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so
Version: 11.2.202.327
State: Enabled (STATE_VULNERABLE_UPDATE_AVAILABLE)
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

But if i understand what the poster says above, the one ending in .491 is the up-to-date one (for Linux).
How can i get/install .491 ... other than installing the updated Mint packages described above, which i did, with no errors?

Here's the what my Software Sources show for this LMDE 1 install:
MAIN (debian) http://packages.linuxmint.com
BASE (testing) http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest
Optional components: unstable packages (romeo) enabled.

I don't have any particular reason NOT to upgrade to LMDE 2, except that i have a perfectly working system now (other than flash and a couple other minor annoyances). It's working great for all my needs otherwise.

I would rather just fix these little things, if at all possible :)
thanks for any suggestions,
Mary
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install Flash Plugin updates

Post by xenopeek »

1. If you are using Linux Mint 16 you do not get software updates since a year ago when it became obsolete and unsupported. Time to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.

2. The repositories that you show appear to be for LMDE 1. Which is it? Are you using Linux Mint 16 or LMDE 1?
linuxgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxgrrl »

Sorry, i don't know which one i have :(
The default desktop graphic says "Linux mint Petra"
But then, on another post, when i mentioned using apt-get, someone yelled at me that i must have the debian edition (?) which is LMDE (??)

Sorry if i seem stupid, but neither the Software Manager, Update Manager, toolbar Menu, nor any other cues are telling me what i'm running.

It's been awhile since i installed (obv) , i'm a home user and i'm usually just enjoying using it. That's what i've liked about Mint, it does not nag me incessantly to upgrade.
linuxgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxgrrl »

Not that i wouldn't upgrade, of course, if need be. mint seems to recommend the "fresh install" approach, so it's a bit of a time investment to get it right.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

We can go in circles about this but that seems like a time investment also. The outcome would remain the same; it's time to install a supported version of Linux Mint :) Linux Mint 17 is supported till mid 2019
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

linuxgrrl wrote:Sorry, i don't know which one i have :(
Please, open a terminal window. Execute this commandline and post back the complete screen output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sx
(capital S, lowercase x) This will reveal beyond doubt which Linux Mint precisely you are using.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
linuxgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxgrrl »

Hmmm ... output of INXI

System:    Host: mythbox Kernel: 3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.0.14  Distro: LinuxMint 1 debian

OK, i accept that i must upgrade. Is it correct that the "new install" method is preferred?

And if I'm reasonably competent and don't mind some troubleshooting, will i be OK with LMDE2? See the warning below from the website. Although i seem to be getting plenty of help here despite the small user base! :)
LMDE is less mainstream than Linux Mint, it has a much smaller user base, it is not compatible with PPAs, and it lacks a few features. That makes it a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.

LMDE is however slightly faster than Linux Mint and it runs newer packages. Life on the LMDE side can be exciting. There are no point releases in LMDE 2, except for bug fixes and security fixes base packages stay the same, but Mint and desktop components are updated continuously. When ready, newly developed features get directly into LMDE 2, whereas they are staged for inclusion on the next upcoming Linux Mint 17.x point release. Consequently, Linux Mint users only run new features when a new point release comes out and they opt-in to upgrade to it. LMDE 2 users don’t have that choice, but they also don’t have to wait for new packages to mature and they usually get to run them first. It’s more risky, but more exciting.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

What graphics card does your system use? LMDE 2 seems to have problems with Intel graphics is why I ask. Other than that LMDE 2 is the most solid, trouble free system I have ever used.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, linuxgrrl.
What graphics card does your system use?
Here is another inxi commandline which will provide this detail as well as a few others:

inxi -Fxz
(capital F, lowercase x, lowercase z) :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

About upgrading from LMDE 1 to LMDE 2 without re-installing from scratch: Upgrading LMDE (from UP8 to “Betsy”)
Lifeline
linuxgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxgrrl »

here we go:

System:    Host: mythbox Kernel: 3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.0.14  Distro: LinuxMint 1 debian
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-MA790X-UD4P version: x.x Bios: Award version: F5 date: 06/03/2009
CPU:       Triple core AMD Phenom II X3 720 (-MCP-) cache: 1536 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 16876.1 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 2800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org: 1.14.3 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 9400 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.72 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11-2-amd64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ce00 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 720.2GB (4.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD6401AALS size: 640.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD800JD size: 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 14G used: 5.3G (40%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 41G used: 6.7G (18%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 6.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 185 Uptime: 5 days Memory: 2272.5/3964.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
One thing i also need to troubleshoot: at some point along the line, Mint stopped (or maybe never did) support my Canon PowerShot SD850 IS camera. It used to work under Ubuntu, but i think perhaps the Linux kernel no longer sees it. What is a quick and efficient way to boot older kernels until i find the one that suppored this older hardware? And is that a viable thing to do with LMDE (or is it a dumb thing to do?) :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

LMDE 2 uses the 3.16 kernel. You might be able to try the camera from the Live DVD.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Corrected OP's first post here to make clear we're talking about LMDE 1. Moved the topic to LMDE 1 forums. As per the information in the forum rules block here, instructions for upgrading from LMDE 1 to 2: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2830

Check your flash version on http://www.adobe.com/nl/software/flash/about/. Is that .491?

Return to “LMDE Archive”