installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby vinoman on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:08 am

How do you install Google chrome. I downloaded the file from their site but then it wanted me to extract it which I did. but the Getdeb installer didn't show up.

How do I install Chrome of Chromium?

So far Mint Debian is working great :)
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:46 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby secipolla on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am

Hello vinoman, add to /etc/apt/sources.list
Code: Select all
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

Then login as root and run
Code: Select all
wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add - && apt-get update && apt-get install google-chrome-unstable
secipolla
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby DrHu on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)
    Chromium is the open source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code.[1] The project's hourly Chromium snapshots appear essentially similar[2] to the latest builds of Google Chrome aside from the omission of certain Google additions, most noticeable among them: Google's brand, auto-update mechanism, click-through licensing terms, usage-tracking, and bundling of Adobe Flash Player.

First, check if chromium (the browser) is in the repository for your Mint version, and install it via the normal package manager
--or the package manager you prefer, eg synaptic

Code: Select all
apt search chromium
p   chromium                        - transitional dummy package for chromium-bs
p   chromium-browser                - Chromium browser
User avatar
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17
 
Posts: 7093
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby Bordee on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Also, take a look at an earlier thread on the same topic:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=55106
Bordee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby vinoman on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:54 pm

secipolla wrote:Hello vinoman, add to /etc/apt/sources.list
Code: Select all
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

Then login as root and run
Code: Select all
wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add - && apt-get update && apt-get install google-chrome-unstable


Thank you. :)
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:46 am

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby 900i on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:48 pm

gdebi- Deb installer is not installed by default in LMDE, get it from the repos. Then Chrome and Picasa install no problem.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
User avatar
900i
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:30 am
Location: Wakefield, UK

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby 900i on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:55 pm

I also had a similar problem, I just created a new menu item and got it back into the menu.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
User avatar
900i
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:30 am
Location: Wakefield, UK

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby vinoman on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:57 pm

900i wrote:I also had a similar problem, I just created a new menu item and got it back into the menu.


I just deleted that post because I just got an update and it was chrome. Now its back and I put an icon on the toolbar.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:46 am

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby tdockery97 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm

900i wrote:gdebi- Deb installer is not installed by default in LMDE, get it from the repos. Then Chrome and Picasa install no problem.

Yep. When I tried to install Chromium, It told me that it was pulled from the repositories for some reason, so I just downloaded the latest stable Chrome and it installed great using gdebi. :D
Image

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby justin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:29 pm

I have a short script I'll be pushing (once proper error checking is complete) for download of Chromium through Debian Sid repos and install (geared towards LMDE).

Stay tuned, hopefully.
justin
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby craigevil on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:15 am

chromium-browser removed from testing | Giuseppe, il suo blog : http://www.iuculano.it/en/linux/debian/ ... m-testing/

You need a line in your sources.list for sid if you want to install chromium.

For Chrome downloading and installing the package from Google adds the Google repo to keep it updated.
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:10 am
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby axel668 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 am

A suggestion, why not add Chromium "Stable" to the LMDE repositories ?
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)
User avatar
axel668
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:56 am

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby MALsPa on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:04 am

axel668 wrote:A suggestion, why not add Chromium "Stable" to the LMDE repositories ?


While there's such a thing as google-chrome-stable, I don't think there's a Chromium "Stable."
User avatar
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: albuquerque

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby gotjazz on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 am

i think that's why the quotation marks were used. Chromium "stable" would then be the chromium build, that the current chrome stable is based on ;)
Image
User avatar
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby Joylove on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:32 am

axel668 wrote:A suggestion, why not add Chromium "Stable" to the LMDE repositories ?

probably coz Chromium itself is a testbed (before being applied to Google Chrome) hence it receives too many updates that can potentially cause problems. IIRC last time I've added Chromium updates came every 1-3 days
Joylove
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby MALsPa on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 am

Joylove wrote:
axel668 wrote:A suggestion, why not add Chromium "Stable" to the LMDE repositories ?

probably coz Chromium itself is a testbed (before being applied to Google Chrome) hence it receives too many updates that can potentially cause problems. IIRC last time I've added Chromium updates came every 1-3 days


Maybe it's different depending on the repos you get it from? I've got chromium-browser here from the Ubuntu repos but I don't see frequent updates coming down the pipe -- not every 1-3 days, anyway.
User avatar
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: albuquerque

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby magian on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:58 am

You can also use the Launchpad Chromium Beta PPA for Lucid which works perfectly with LMDE (add to /etc/apt/sources.list):

Code: Select all
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/beta/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/beta/ubuntu lucid main
magian
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:55 am

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby craigevil on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:06 pm

magian wrote:You can also use the Launchpad Chromium Beta PPA for Lucid which works perfectly with LMDE (add to /etc/apt/sources.list):

Code: Select all
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/beta/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/beta/ubuntu lucid main


while that PPA only installs Chromuim, it is NOT a good idea to install Ubuntu packages on Debian.

You would be better off just adding a line to your sources.list for sid then doing apt-get unpdate; apt-get -t unstable install chromium-browser.


$ apt-cache policy chromium-browser
chromium-browser:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 6.0.472.62~r59676-1
Version table:
6.0.472.62~r59676-1 0
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages


If you instead choose to install Google Chrome you have a choice, you can install the latest dev version or the current 'stable' version.

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome-stable
google-chrome-stable:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 6.0.472.62-r59676
Version table:
6.0.472.62-r59676 0
500 http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable/main i386 Packages

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome-unstable
google-chrome-unstable:
Installed: 7.0.517.8-r59474
Candidate: 7.0.517.8-r59474
Version table:
*** 7.0.517.8-r59474 0
500 http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:10 am
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby axel668 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:40 am

MALsPa wrote:Maybe it's different depending on the repos you get it from? I've got chromium-browser here from the Ubuntu repos but I don't see frequent updates coming down the pipe -- not every 1-3 days, anyway.


Right, there's 4 different versions of Chromium in the Ubuntu PPA:
- stable (kept in sync with CHROME stable version)
- beta (kept in sync with CHROME beta version)
- dev (kept in sync with CHROME dev version)
- daily (just the latest daily chromium build)

So while Chromium itself does not have a stable version, it seems to be possible to create a Chromium build, which is in sync with the Chrome stable version, while not adding Chrome- specific features (branding, embedded Flash / PDF). Debian Unstable seems to follow the same strategy, so it wouldn't be much more than a copy step, either from the Ubuntu PPAs or from Sid. The idea of adding this to the LMDE repos is merely for end users to avoid the inconvenience of messing with their software sources.
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)
User avatar
axel668
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:56 am

Re: installing Chromium or Google Chrome

Postby MALsPa on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:22 pm

axel668 wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Maybe it's different depending on the repos you get it from? I've got chromium-browser here from the Ubuntu repos but I don't see frequent updates coming down the pipe -- not every 1-3 days, anyway.


Right, there's 4 different versions of Chromium in the Ubuntu PPA:
- stable (kept in sync with CHROME stable version)
- beta (kept in sync with CHROME beta version)
- dev (kept in sync with CHROME dev version)
- daily (just the latest daily chromium build)

So while Chromium itself does not have a stable version, it seems to be possible to create a Chromium build, which is in sync with the Chrome stable version, while not adding Chrome- specific features (branding, embedded Flash / PDF). Debian Unstable seems to follow the same strategy, so it wouldn't be much more than a copy step, either from the Ubuntu PPAs or from Sid. The idea of adding this to the LMDE repos is merely for end users to avoid the inconvenience of messing with their software sources.


Interesting, wasn't aware of all this.

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/stable
https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/beta
https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/dev
https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

I'm thinking that my version of chromium-browser in Mint doesn't come from any of the above (correct me if I'm wrong here).

From the browser (About Chromium): 6.0.472.53 (57914) Built on Ubuntu 10.04, running on LinuxMint 9

In Synaptic, it says chromium-browser 6.0.472.53~r57914-0ubuntu0.10.04.1. Origin: lucid-updates/universe (archive.ubuntu.com)
User avatar
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: albuquerque

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests