gdebi missing in Linux Mint Debian

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

gdebi missing in Linux Mint Debian

Postby Kazmirzak on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi,

As far as I got with my testing, LMDE installs without problems and almost everything works as expected. But there's a serious flaw in Linux Mint Debian: the package gdebi is missing and no replacement for it is there, so when someone downloads a deb, for example from skype.com, he will get the Archive Manager when double clicking on it - a pretty useless program for installing a .deb file.

Lucky enough gdebi is in the repos and works like a charm. So I can't really understand why it is not in the standard installation. Maybe it was simply forgotten? Its absence can be a real show stopper if you don't know about it.

greets,
Jürgen
Kazmirzak
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: gdebi missing in Linux Mint Debian

Postby richyrich on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 pm

This has been noted before in this same forum

From Clem:

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) comes with a Debian base, which we transformed into a live media and on top of which we added a new installer. It’s rougher and in some aspects not as user-friendly as our other editions, it’s very young but it will improve continuously and rapidly, and it brings us one step closer to a situation where we’re fully in control of the system without being impacted by upstream decisions.

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527

viewtopic.php?f=0&t=54770&p=322713&hilit=gdebi#p322713
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Kazmirzak on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi richyrich,

sorry didn't know it has been mentioned before. Now, at least, it has an own forum tread and possibly attracts some attention ;-)

I know that there's still a LOT of hard work to do... But as far as I am able to judge on this, it is a minor fix for the dev team that is probably done within a couple of minutes, so there is a chance they could work on this very quickly and for the next iso (if one is planned soon which I don't know)
Kazmirzak
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 pm

They mention in the blog, and a few other places in the forums that they are concentrating on Mint 10 right now. Once Julia is released, I predict a completely reworked iso from them . . . stay tuned in the new year ! :mrgreen:
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby craigevil on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 pm

dpkg -i packagename

gdebi isn't really needed but it does make things a bit easier for those afraid of CLI
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil
Level 5
Level 5

Postby nalsdixit on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:29 am

it is not i am 'afraid' of CLI, but rather i do not know enough, or am still learning. when i download a package and the default is open with 'archive manager' i click it. for users like me, it would surely help to have gdebi installed.

fwiw, i believe this is where mint will have a niche over the more savvy debian users

nals
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Postby anamnesis on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:41 am

nalsdixit wrote:it is not i am 'afraid' of CLI, but rather i do not know enough, or am still learning. when i download a package and the default is open with 'archive manager' i click it. for users like me, it would surely help to have gdebi installed.

fwiw, i believe this is where mint will have a niche over the more savvy debian users

nals

Open the Bourne-again shell ("terminal"). Hold your breath, because this terminal is not mouseable, you must write something (I know, I know...). And now: $ sudo apt-get install gdebi <hit enter>
Puuh, that was something...
hth
anamnesis
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications