docky

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jesica

docky

Post by jesica »

I haven installed docky on my latop and pc and when i start it, it gives a a black screen ontop of docky

what can be wrong with that
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: docky

Post by rivenathos »

I am thinking this may be fixed by either Metacity Compositing or Compiz. One or the other may need to be enabled. I do not currently use Docky, so I am tossing out ideas.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
jesica

Post by jesica »

sorry i have no idea what that means
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Docky needs a composited desktop to run and display correctly. In Gnome, either enable Compiz by going to Menu=>Preferences=>Appearance=>Visual Effects and checking "Normal" or higher, or gor to Menu=>Preferences=>Desktop Settings and, in Windows=>Performance, check "Use Gnome Compositing"

You may also find that you get the same black outline for a few seconds when you boot Mint. Or, you could get a notification box saying that Docky requires desktop compositing to work properly. If this is too annoying, you will need to put in a delay before Docky starts.

Open Gedit and type "sleep 10 && docky" ( without the quotes). Save this to your /home folder in a file labeled ".dockysh" (again, no quotes). Right click the file and open Properties. In the Permissions section, make sure the box for "Allow executing the file as a program" is checked

Open Startup Applications (Menu=.Preferences=>Startup Applications), find the entry for Docky, click it to select it, click Edit, and change the command to read "/home/your username/.dockysh.

Now, when you boot into Mint, the desktop compositor will have time to start before Docky starts so you have no black outline at startup. :D
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Yes, Aging Technogeek explained it in more detail. :D
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
jesica

Post by jesica »

thanks for the info

i also saw on ubuntu forums this fix works

but i cant get the Visual Effects tab

I use LMDE
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Jessica

I had the same problem but with AWN dock. I think Docky may be the same. Aging Technogeek explained it in his post. Your right LMDE doesn't have the settings in "Appearance" but he also mentioned ...
or go to Menu=>Preferences=>Desktop Settings and, in Windows=>Performance, check "Use Gnome Compositing"
That worked for me with AWN in LMDE.. I suspect it will with Docky.

Good Luck!
jesica

Post by jesica »

okay

sorry :(

it did work thanks :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”