(SOLVED) Google Earth on LMDE 64 bit?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) Google Earth on LMDE 64 bit?

Post by marlar »

Hi,

Have any of you succeeded in installing Google Earth on LMDE 64 bit?

When run in a terminal it complains that libQtCore.so.4 and a few other libraries are missing. After I gathed these libs, it then complains about a missing libgthread-2.0.so.0. It exists in /usr/lib so I made a symlink to /usr/lib32/googleearth.

Now it says: /usr/lib32/googleearth/googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgthread-2.0.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

I have an idea it is because I am running 64 bit, but how do I solve this problem?

Thanks,
Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msm

Re: Google Earth on LMDE 64 bit?

Post by msm »

I used this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package
and it worked fine
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

Try to install: ia32-libs-gkt
Maybe it will fix your problem
Sergio
skompier

Post by skompier »

It installed fine using the Software Center version. Runs fine in my LMDE64 install.
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Google Earth on LMDE 64 bit? (SOLVED)

Post by marlar »

spsf64 wrote:Try to install: ia32-libs-gkt
Maybe it will fix your problem
Thanks! Installing ia32-libs-gtk fixed it :-)

I installed like the other posters suggested, so I don't know why it didn't work out of the box.

Martin
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Tried the above fixes, still doesnt work

From synaptic I downloaded

googleearth
googleearth-package

then
ia32-libs-gtk

When I click the icon I get it to open, but blank screen

If I type googleearth in terminal, I get

gene@zordon ~ $ googleearth
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libaurora.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libpixmap.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libpixmap.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmist.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmist.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Google Earth appears to be running already. Please kill the
 existing process, or delete /home/gene/.googleearth/instance-running-lock if this is an error.
gene@zordon ~ $ 

Mint Debian 10 -64bit
Nvidia 195 drivers
Also running Google Chrome?

Any ideas?

=======================

EDIT

I tried uninstalling

ia32-libs-gtk

Now if I click the icon, = nothing

If I type googleearth in terminal - I get

/usr/lib32/googleearth/googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libQtCore.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I guess ia32-libs-gtk helps, but not enough. :cry:
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I had exactly the same issue reported by the OP.

and installing ia32-libs-gtk made it work.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Tried the above fixes, still doesnt work

From synaptic I downloaded

googleearth
googleearth-package

then
ia32-libs-gtk

When I click the icon I get it to open, but blank black screen (no map)

If I type googleearth in terminal, I get
CODE: SELECT ALL
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:5253): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libaurora.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

gene@zordon ~ $

Mint Debian 10 -64bit
Nvidia 195 drivers
Also running Google Chrome?

Any ideas?
Got it working.
I did all the fixes above. But still the program opened to just a black screen (no earth map!).
I looked for a fix at the Debian forum and found one that worked for me...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... th#p315318

install packages=
ia32-libs-gtk 
lib32nss-mdns 
ia32-libs       
lib32ncurses5  

nvidia-glx-ia32
Only worked after I loaded the last package "nvidia-glx-ia32".

Took a minute or two to load google earth, but all works fine now. after using the program a little, the rendering seems to be speeding up on par with the program in Mint 10 std.
Perhaps this will work for someone else, also.

Good Luck!
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

nvidia-glx-ia32 worked for me also....Thank you for the information.
GSXR750L

Re: (SOLVED) Google Earth on LMDE 64 bit?

Post by GSXR750L »

LMDE / NVIDIA / AMD64 / GOOGLE EARTH

in the following sequence

Install nVidia Drivers:-

Package Manager:-

module-assistant

nvidia-kernel-common

Terminal:-

sudo m-a -i -t prepare

sudo m-a clean,a-i -i -t -f nvidia-kernel-source

sudo depmod -a

nvidia-glx

nvidia-glx-dev

nvidia-xconfig

xserver-xorg (maybe there already)

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

sudo sh /etc/X11/Xrest

NEXT:-

Install packages needed by Google Earth, some of these may already installed.

ttf-bitstream-vera

ia32-libs-gtk

lib32nss-mdns

ia32-libs (maybe already there)

lib32ncurses5 (maybe already there)

libgl1-mesa-dri (maybe already there)

nvidia-glx-ia32

lsb-core

googleearth-package

sudo make-googleearth-package --force

ls (to see the exact filename for the .deb file created)

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture googleearth_6.0.1.2032+0.6.0-1_amd64.deb

Then look in your Menu for Google Earth and use, if it all worked. :mrgreen:
Last edited by GSXR750L on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

I don't see why you are using the --force option, if the source doesn't build then forcing it to isn't going to solve it either. Your bound to strike ELF class issues but none should be bad enough to prevent it from compiling. Using the --force flag isn't good practice, nor should it be recommended, if you are familiar with the ins/outs of Debian packages (I'm a Debian maintainer) then run lintian over the created deb you'll have more errors there than you really want, as the make-google package is a dirty hack to get it working, having said that, it works but it could be better ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

VK7HSE I can honestly say I haven't a clue what I'm on about so all I did was search and search and try my best to understand stuff very poorly explained and stitch bits together until I had something that when repeated always worked. As for what --force means, well I don't know I just copied it from somewhere else in the forum so I shall go and Google it now. But if you are someone who knows what he's talking about then I would be only to pleased to see your instructions on how it should be done in LMDE so as others can benefit from your knowledge. :D

Oh ELF, I shall look that up too :oops:

Edit, I return, could only turn up one result on --force and it was code on the debian site, gave up on ELF, some sort of Bofin Lingo.

Tried the Link to your website to see what sort of expert you were and it doesn't exist? EDIT 03/02/2011 VK7HSE's website now working :wink:
Last edited by GSXR750L on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orion8

Post by orion8 »

Thanks, geneC! I was missing nvidia-glx-ia32 (I had only the 64 bit version). Works great now. Before that I had all the other 32 bit libs and while the program launched I had the black screen others had reported.
lonoy

Post by lonoy »

Thanks also to geneC. I has installed every nvidia package known to man but this one. Once I did it removed the black screen issue.
Flymow

Re: (SOLVED) Google Earth on LMDE 64 bit? & XFCE 64

Post by Flymow »

Thanks again to GeneC!

Google Earth now works with Linux Mint XFCE 64-bit - on an Acer 5684 (intel T5600, nVidia 7600 Go).

The image of Earth has now returned. Nice one. :D
TarasMK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TarasMK »

nvidia-glx-ia32
should surely be in dependencies for google-earth on 64-bit

Return to “LMDE Archive”