Can not load Skype. {SOLVED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Seca

Can not load Skype. {SOLVED}

Post by Seca »

Whenever I try to run Skype, I get a slew of messages like 'Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64' in the terminal.

I've already installed ia32-libs-gtk and have had this program running in a past installation on the same hardware. Any help or hints in the right direction would be appreciated. Lmde -fully updated as of 1-20-2011.

{SOLVED}Skype was pulling in qt libraries from a separate partition. I unmounted the offending partition and now Skype loads.

Elisa: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=95626 (which was linked to through the first link you posted) is the link that helped me. I ran the command ldd /usr/bin/skype | grep -i Qt and realized that the qt libraries were indeed accessible through my chroot. Pulling from different qt libraries caused a fatal error in Skype. Removing the chroot fixed the qt errors. The other errors are still there but aren't fatal.

This fix won't apply to other users unless running a chroot. For other users that experience a similar problem of skype not starting, check to make sure that you don't have two different versions of qt installed.
Thanks for the links peeps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Can not load Skype.

Post by Habitual »

Seca

Post by Seca »

Yeah,I saw that thread. I remember from before, skype would say something to the effect of libmurrine no longer used and then launch right up. Not so in this install.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

tux_errante

Re: Can not load Skype. {SOLVED}

Post by tux_errante »

Hi !
I've the same error and distribution (LDME) but the problem isn't that skype don't start, is the crash after clicking on the webcam configuration !
The webcam works fine with Cheese, emesene and on..
I've just tried this but nothing ..

This is what I've wrote :
I'm sorry, but skype still crashing, after I've tried both methods.. any help ?

driver uvcvideo
card videowebcam
Linux mint Debian kernel 2.6.32-5amd64, Gnome

here's the output:

alessandro@alex-pc ~ $ skype
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(:27358): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(:27358): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libclearlooks.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
/usr/local/bin/skype: line 2: 27358 Segmentation fault LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skype
any ideas ?

Return to “LMDE Archive”