J-Pilot Issue, Round 2 [SOLVED by Julia x64]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

J-Pilot Issue, Round 2 [SOLVED by Julia x64]

Post by Transitman »

Prior to having to do a re-install of LMDE 64-bit, I was able to print any calendar from it, both under 32-bit and most recently under 64-bit.

Now with the re-install, and currently frozen at "Squeeze" due to an incompatibility with Liquorix and a newer file, I am baffled.
I have not upgraded to the "new" testing.

I can print from IceOwl and other programs, the printers are seen but J-Pilot will not send the file to the printer(s).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: J-Pilot Issue

Post by DrHu »

You could reinstall j pilot to make sure all the files for that application are up-to-date..

Always the first step would be to check the application's process for printing, and it is usually simple -- a file/print or some such sequence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-Pilot#Linux_support

http://www.jpilot.org/ChangeLog
  • 1.8.0 - 02/28/10
    Added support for Calendar app
    Requires pilot-link > 0.12.5
    GTK1 code removed. GTK2 required
Also check the application's dependencies or requirements..
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I've never even tried printing directly from JPilot to the printer. The default on mine is to print to a file, and it does that fine, and I can open the .ps postscript file with the document viewer and print from it. Are you sure you have the correct settings in the print dialog?
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

sgosnell wrote:I've never even tried printing directly from JPilot to the printer. The default on mine is to print to a file, and it does that fine, and I can open the .ps postscript file with the document viewer and print from it. Are you sure you have the correct settings in the print dialog?
From what I have read it is "lpr -h"

And I have even tried to "print to file" but that failed as well.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Are you sure you have the correct default printer set? I don't see a way to print to anything other than the default. What I use is "cat > calendar.ps" for printing to a file. That works for me. Using just "lpr" works for printing directly to the printer, but I have to set the correct default printer. I have to change the default printer depending on whether I'm at work or at home.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

sgosnell wrote:Are you sure you have the correct default printer set? I don't see a way to print to anything other than the default. What I use is "cat > calendar.ps" for printing to a file. That works for me. Using just "lpr" works for printing directly to the printer, but I have to set the correct default printer. I have to change the default printer depending on whether I'm at work or at home.
Oh yeah, I made sure the correct default printer was set.

I ended up ripping LMDE 64-bit completely out and doing an install of LM-10 64-bit, and J-Pilot worked correctly first time.
For the time being, I'm going to stay with LM 10 64-bit and jump back to LMDE in the future.
sgosnell

Re: J-Pilot Issue [SOLVED, Sort of]

Post by sgosnell »

Well, I don't know. All I can say is that printing from JPilot works in LMDE for me, both to file and directly to the printer.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

J-Pilot Issue Round 2

Post by Transitman »

sgosnell wrote:Well, I don't know. All I can say is that printing from JPilot works in LMDE for me, both to file and directly to the printer.
I have done a complete re-install of LMDE64 and Jpilot will not pring, will not print to file and will not export to ical.
Does anyone have any suggestions, other than RTFM or look at http://www.jpilot.org (which I have done).
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: J-Pilot Issue, Round 2

Post by Transitman »

Still no clue as to why J-Pilot would not print from my printer or save a file to my drive (LMDE x64).
So at 3 AM this morning, I fired up LM Julia, deleted several .gnome folders under my user name and proceeded to install LM 10 Julia x64.
After it was installed, and all the updates and all my programs I needed were re-installed, I fired up J-Pilot and tried to print a calendar again.

Now I don't know what is different between LMDE x64 and LM 10 x64, but in the latter J-Pilot sent to my printer the calender I wanted printed.

If anyone knows what is going on, I'd love to be educated in this.
And because of this one issue, I am on LM 10 Julia x64 for the near future.
sgosnell

Re: J-Pilot Issue, Round 2 [SOLVED by Julia x64]

Post by sgosnell »

You may need to add yourself to the lp, lpadmin, and sys groups. I had several issues with printing under LMDE, mostly that the printer would work after installation, but would quit. Adding myself to those groups solved my printing problems. There are several resources on the web for instructions on adding users to groups.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: J-Pilot Issue, Round 2 [SOLVED by Julia x64]

Post by Transitman »

sgosnell wrote:You may need to add yourself to the lp, lpadmin, and sys groups. I had several issues with printing under LMDE, mostly that the printer would work after installation, but would quit. Adding myself to those groups solved my printing problems.
Thanks for the tip on adding myself to the above groups.
I re-installed LMDE 64bit and then added myself to those groups, and then did a test with J-Pilot.
It worked, so now I am back with LMDE 64bit.

Return to “LMDE Archive”