easytether and network manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

easytether and network manager

Postby Hmfan on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:34 am

Okay for starters I love the debian edition. Don't have to dump the OS every 6 months or so to keep up with the updates and what not.

But an interesting question was brought up when I tried to use the Easytether app of my android phone and the program that is supposed to make the connection share work with linux so that I could get internet access. Now the Driver program says that it is for Ubuntu, but I figured that a debian sid based OS would work fine. So despite my better judgment, I threw caution to the wind and gave it a try. Now from what I have seen it only half works. it will establish a connection and web surfing is possible as well as system updates as well. but for some odd reason, the network manager doesn't show a connection. I didn't think anything of it so I opened Pidgin to talk to some friends, however, Pidgin just sits idle waiting for a connection to be established. So I am wondering if the network manager not showing a connection is related to pidgin not connecting... any ideas out there on the cause and possibly a direction on a solution?

Okay after a more extensive internet search, I was able to find that the issue is with the easy tether program. it doesn't integrate with networkmanager at this time, but soon a new version will fix this issue. So yay me I figured out my own answer.
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications