easytether and network manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

easytether and network manager

Postby Hmfan on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:34 am

Okay for starters I love the debian edition. Don't have to dump the OS every 6 months or so to keep up with the updates and what not.

But an interesting question was brought up when I tried to use the Easytether app of my android phone and the program that is supposed to make the connection share work with linux so that I could get internet access. Now the Driver program says that it is for Ubuntu, but I figured that a debian sid based OS would work fine. So despite my better judgment, I threw caution to the wind and gave it a try. Now from what I have seen it only half works. it will establish a connection and web surfing is possible as well as system updates as well. but for some odd reason, the network manager doesn't show a connection. I didn't think anything of it so I opened Pidgin to talk to some friends, however, Pidgin just sits idle waiting for a connection to be established. So I am wondering if the network manager not showing a connection is related to pidgin not connecting... any ideas out there on the cause and possibly a direction on a solution?

Okay after a more extensive internet search, I was able to find that the issue is with the easy tether program. it doesn't integrate with networkmanager at this time, but soon a new version will fix this issue. So yay me I figured out my own answer.
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications