NoScript - needed with LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Chipshotz

NoScript - needed with LMDE?

Post by Chipshotz »

I've used NoScript with Windows of course and have it installed on Firefox in LMDE but I'm not sure it's necessary.. What's the consensus
here on the value of its use with linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: NoScript - needed with LMDE?

Post by ThistleWeb »

You assume all scripts are about malware, hence the Windows only usage?

I use NoScript because it makes browsing the web so much more pleasant. I hate websites running all sorts of extra scripts to open up pop up windows, pup unders etc, or deciding to redirect me to ask a survey, or to play an audio or video track automatically etc. Many sites excessively use scripts in their efforts to monetize their traffic. I block all scripts by default and only temporarily white list those I need to, to make the part of the site I'm trying to use function. If it's a regular site I visit, I permanently white list it.

Often anything that requires you to log in needs javascript from the main domain to be allowed, and cookies, since part of it is dropping a cookie into your browser. It may also need a 3rd party CAPTCHA provider to be allowed to run. The finite control over what scripts are allowed and what are not, is one of the reasons why I love Firefox.

Combine NoScript, with AdBlockPlus and a cookie manager like Cookie Whitelist, and Better Privacy for those real sneaky companies like Disney who use zombie Flash cookies that hide from the regular cookie management, and resurrect themselves to carry on tracking you. You forget how obnoxious some sites are when you visit them in browsers without that level of control and blocking.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

With so many badly written scripts on so many web pages, which crash your browser or bring it to a standstill, I consider NoScript to be self defense, it always gets installed.
Currently I only use Linux on the internet, no Windows.
Chipshotz

Post by Chipshotz »

ThistleWeb and jefferyC
Of course you both are correct. I've used NoScript for so long I've forgotten how good it is. After disabling it I was bombarded with annoying popups and worse.
I must have been asleep thinking I could go without it. :oops:

:)

Return to “LMDE Archive”