Why different versions of dropbox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Why different versions of dropbox?

Postby madwoollything on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:35 pm

LMDE is just fantastic .... I have LMDE 32 & 64 bit along with a new install of XFCE.

The only thing I've noticed is that LMDE32 uses dropbox 0.7.110 (coloured icon) while LMDE64 uses 1.0.10 and XFCE uses 1.0.28 (both with mono-chrome icons). Why the differences?

How can I update LMDE32 to use a later version of dropbox with the mono-chrome icon?
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why different versions of dropbox?

Postby richyrich on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Are all three using the exact same repositories for their software sources ?
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Location: Pirating somewhere along the North Saskatchewan River, Canada

Postby madwoollything on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:10 am

richyrich wrote:Are all three using the exact same repositories for their software sources ?

Yes, sources.list is identical for all three installations.
It's very odd ....
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dbkblk on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 am

That behavior with dropbox is not linked to the LMDE package. I think you've installed dropbox in your 32bits installation before Dropbox 1.0 was out (the previous version was 0.7). DB will auto-update your installation in some weeks. They did activated delay in auto-update to avoid theirs servers being saturated !

You just have to stop DB and remove your ".dropbox-dist" directory and dropbox will download the latest stable version again !
If you're not an english native talker, you can also use the latest unstable version with translations (i use that one but there could be bugs):
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=36333
dbkblk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby madwoollything on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 am

dbkblk wrote:That behavior with dropbox is not linked to the LMDE package. I think you've installed dropbox in your 32bits installation before Dropbox 1.0 was out (the previous version was 0.7). DB will auto-update your installation in some weeks. They did activated delay in auto-update to avoid theirs servers being saturated !

You just have to stop DB and remove your ".dropbox-dist" directory and dropbox will download the latest stable version again !
If you're not an english native talker, you can also use the latest unstable version with translations (i use that one but there could be bugs):
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=36333

Many thanks
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications