Wow Launcher crashing in LMDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Wow Launcher crashing in LMDE

Postby Kittikity on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:50 am

I used Mint 9 for about a year before installing LMDE. World of Warcraft worked fine in Mint 9. But with LMDE the launcher crashes giving me an error:

The program Launcher.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check http://appdb.winehq.org for tips about running this application.

If this problem is not present under Windows and has not been reported yet, you can report it at http://bugs.winehq.org.

The launcher starts to load but crashes just about when text would pop up. I thought it might be a problem with gecko but it asked to install gecko just after it installed wine. I have wine 1.3.21. Wine says I have gecko 1.2.0 installed. I also tried to use the Wow install file but it also crashed when a window similar to the launcher window started to open. I can run Wow.exe just fine but that's not going to do me any good once it has to install the next patch.

I have searched for several days but haven't found an actual solution. I don't know if I am missing a package or something like that. I am still a noob when it comes to linux and I am not a programmer in any way. I know just about enough to be able to break something. = ) If anyone has a solution for me, I'd be much appreciated.
Kittikity
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wow Launcher crashing in LMDE

Postby Elmacus on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:45 am

On my gamecomputer i use mint10.
LMDE wine is just to old. You need atleast wine1.3 and I didn't get it to work.
But someday when testing repo is updated i will try with LMDE again.

Sent from Android using tapatalk.
LMDE 64 bit. Use my advices on your own risk, it might be wrong on your system.
Laptop LMDE SID, Desktop home LMDE Testing, Desktop work LMDE UP4.
"If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Elmacus
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wow Launcher crashing in LMDE

Postby Kittikity on Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I sort of fixed the problem myself.. I reinstalled LMDE and installed wine from mepis instead of frickelplatz.. I have yet to install the LMDE updates so not sure if that will make a difference.. But Laucher.exe and wow.exe work perfectly for now..
Kittikity
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications