[SOLVED] Lost my Thunderbird / Google Synch

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SimonTS

[SOLVED] Lost my Thunderbird / Google Synch

Post by SimonTS »

I am following the 'incoming' repo path and am happy so far with what I've found - with one major exception. I cannot get Thunderbird to synchronise with my Google calendar any longer. I run Thunderbird by keeping my xxxxxxxx.default folder set with a symbolic link to a folder on my NTFS 'shared' partition. Every time, so far, that I have installed a new distro, be it coming from Mint 9 to 10, to trying out Mint 11 to Fedora and Bodhi, all I have needed to do is install 'xul-ext-lightning' from the Package Manager and the next time I fired up Thunderbird it automatically picked up all my calendar settings and resynched straight away.
However, I do not seem to be able to that under LMDE now. I don't know ifd this is something caused purely by going to 'incoming' as I haven't previously tried this on LMDE at all. 'xul-ext-lightning' isn't in the repos, the alternate showing is 'calendar-google-provider' which doesn't do the job and if I look on the Mozilla Add-Ons pages then I find both 'Provider for Google Calendar' and 'Lightning' which both require Thunderbird 5.0+.
If I have to upgrade to v5 to get my calendar back then I will do so, but I don't want to just go ahead and do it if there is another way round it as I cannot really afford to lose my calendar link which currently works fine from my Mint 10 setup.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Lost my Thunderbird / Google Synch

Post by SimonTS »

It's OK - Just about solved it. I have managed to find a location to download the old xul-ext-lighting v1.0b2 which is the one needed for this version of Thunderbird and installed it. It screwed up my calendars and told me that it "couldn't connect to data provider", but deleting the calendars and re-adding them allowed it to connect correctly to Google and get all my data back for me :D

One problem down only a few to go. I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow for me help :shock:
craigevil

Re: [SOLVED] Lost my Thunderbird / Google Synch

Post by craigevil »

Easier to just use Lightning directly from Mozilla.

Lightning :: Add-ons for Thunderbird - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... lightning/

I also use:
Provider for Google Calendar :: Add-ons for Thunderbird - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... enusedwith
gContactSync :: Add-ons for Thunderbird - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... enusedwith
SimonTS

Re: [SOLVED] Lost my Thunderbird / Google Synch

Post by SimonTS »

The problem I had is that the version of Lightning now provided on the Mozilla Add-Ons site is v1.0b4, which is only compatible with Thunderbird v5.0. I was running the default provided TBird of 3.1.7, so I had to find it somewhere else to download.

Since then I have managed to install TBird 5, so I am using the newer version of Lightning as well as Provider for Google Calendar. I currently use Zindus to sync my contacts, but I will have a loo at gContactSync if it is compatible.

Return to “LMDE Archive”