MintBackup Tool not opening [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
msm

MintBackup Tool not opening [SOLVED]

Post by msm »

Having recently installed LMDE I've downloaded a large number of software. I'd like to make a backup of the software list via the MintBackup tool. But when I click on its icon nothing happens - the program doesn't open. I've tried deleting and reinstalling it but that didn't fix it. What could the reason be for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizzler

Re: MintBackup Tool not opening

Post by grizzler »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... up#p432781

Reported over a month ago. Still not fixed? I applied the patch myself so I can't check.
msm

Post by msm »

Apparently it hasn't been fixed yet. At least it doesn't work for me. Don't get an error message, it just doesn't open.
davrych

Post by davrych »

@msm

I applied the patch, and it worked :D, I have lmde 32 with linux 2.6.39-2-686-pae and python-apt 0.8.0

You have to edit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintbackup/mintbackup.py , import apt.progress.gtk2, and then replace line 87 with class MessageDialog(apt.progress.gtk2.GOpProgress), save your file and there you go.

This fix was provided by M Thomson on https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/795132 , read carefully you should know what are you doing, I learned that myself about twenty minutes ago. Good luck!
msm

Post by msm »

davrych wrote:
You have to edit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintbackup/mintbackup.py , import apt.progress.gtk2, and then replace line 87 with class MessageDialog(apt.progress.gtk2.GOpProgress)
Thanks, but I'm not sure how to import the apt.progress.gtk2. How can I import that file?
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

This is what I did. Open a terminal window and enter these three commands (the first is just to backup the file in case the patching goes wrong - make sure to include the space and the dot at the end):

Code: Select all

cp /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py .
wget https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/795132/+attachment/2162530/+files/mintBackup.py.diff
sudo patch /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py -i mintBackup.py.diff
You can remove the files 'mintBackup.py' and 'mintBackup.py.diff' from your home directory when the patching is done.

=====================================================================================================
EDIT 04-08-2011: to anyone planning to use this patch now: DON'T!
The patched version of MintBackup has been released through the update system. You should now have version 2.0.8 which should just work. Trying to apply the patch to that version will cause problems.
Last edited by grizzler on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

Thanks, grizzler. Works like a charm here.
msm

Post by msm »

grizzler wrote:This is what I did. Open a terminal window and enter these three commands (the first is just to backup the file in case the patching goes wrong - make sure to include the space and the dot at the end):

cp /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py .
wget https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/795132/+attachment/2162530/+files/mintBackup.py.diff
sudo patch /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py -i mintBackup.py.diff
You can remove the files 'mintBackup.py' and 'mintBackup.py.diff' from your home directory when the patching is done.
Worked for me as well. Thank you!
bigdee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MintBackup Tool not opening [SOLVED]

Post by bigdee »

A big thank you from me too grizzler. :D
DAVID
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

patching file /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py
Hunk #2 FAILED at 88.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py.rej
What do I do wrong?

Backup of program choice still doesn't start.
hozomean

Post by hozomean »

This bug fix has been released, so if you're fully up to date, you should not need to apply the patch. Please update mintBackup and update if you're still having problems.

Return to “LMDE Archive”