virtual box

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nairb100

virtual box

Post by nairb100 »

Hi guys. Can anyone advise , which would be better to dual boot lmde with vista or loading if poss vista on virtualbox.
don't need vista for internet just photoshop and a graphic tablet. Wouldn't need vista if I could get a graphics tablet
to work, tried 4 different ones and spent hours no joy.
Thanks in advance.
Bri
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: virtual box

Post by xenopeek »

If you only use Vista for photoshop & graphic tablet (one application), I would suggest you install Linux Mint and run Vista through VirtualBox. You can enjoy Linux Mint for all other applications with highest speed and security :D And if you disconnect Vista from internet access, and don't install any other software, you can increase its speed also by running without anti virus software (but only if you keep it disconnected from internet and don't install any other software but photoshop).

BTW have you tried a Wacom tablet? I got mine to work with this help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
It works perfectly in GIMP also.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

It all depends on how much ram you have ... if you have less than 1.5gb that you can allocate to a VM safely, I'd dual-boot. That said, if you have plenty of memory to work with, the new VBox (version 4.1) runs incredibly smoothly, and even has experimental Aero support. And really, unless you're gaming, WIndows runs better in a virtual environment anyway.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
kaizer

Post by kaizer »

VM is fine for running apps but I am not sure you will be able to properly accesss your trable though usb connexion in a virtual environment. If you manage to do this please let me know.
nairb100

Post by nairb100 »

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies, will respond with the results, but it may take a day or three.
Bri

Return to “LMDE Archive”